Some old videos recorded on Samsung from 2016 are fragmented, any idea what could cause this?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I am little bit confused and was hoping someone could shed some light on my query.
I always copy and make a manual backup of my devices past and present to my window 10 pc.

Today whilst reviewing some videos from my PC that I had taken on Christmas Day in 2016 from my S7 I noticed they were all split in 2 seconds segments and spread on multiple mp4 files.

Would anyone know what would have caused this ? I believe they were recorded originally using the S7 edge and onto an SD card which was then manually copied to my PC.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I tweaked the title to better explain the question you were looking for an answer to, and moved the thread to the General Help subforum, bumping the thread up to try and help you get an answer a little faster, perhaps. Good luck!

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
How big is each file?

The files are approx 2 meg each , so in essence I’ve got ten 2 meg files on my pc 20 meg video.

I think and I could be wrong, I recorded those videos original in 2016 using the sd card which probably breaks down the video in chunks when I transferred them over to PC?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If you still have the S7, using your favorite file browser on the phone, check to see if the video files on the phone are also fragmented.
Seems odd that the phone would break up any file into chunks during a file transfer to your computer.

If you play each 2 MB file, does it play correctly?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
If you still have the S7, using your favorite file browser on the phone, check to see if the video files on the phone are also fragmented.
Seems odd that the phone would break up any file into chunks during a file transfer to your computer.

If you play each 2 MB file, does it play correctly?

Unfortunately I don’t have the S7 nor the sd card , but my routine after upgrading devices generally consists of removing the SD card and manually copying the files and folders across to my windows 10 pc and also using Samsung smartswitch to backup the devices internal storage onto PC. Then again I could have probably moved the internal photos over to the SD card from file manager on the S7.

It’s bugging me to be honest not knowing what could have caused this. All the videos are 2 or 3 seconds long and split up. I don’t think I used burst mode. Since when viewing these 2second snippets shows an overall video that I had taken.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I’ve been digging deeper into my memory bank in my head. Could it be possibly that I had something called motion video enabled ? But when I read up on that feature it says that when it’s copied it strips out the motion part ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I’ve been digging deeper into my memory bank in my head. Could it be possibly that I had something called motion video enabled ? But when I read up on that feature it says that when it’s copied it strips out the motion part ?
Hi Frederick

I do t remember motion picture being on s7 back then.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's kind of what I was thinking when I asked about burst shots, but it would still seem odd to take a whole video made up of motion videos strung together.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
That's kind of what I was thinking when I asked about burst shots, but it would still seem odd to take a whole video made up of motion videos strung together.

Indeed. You know when trying to sort this puzzle out , I tried to back track and locate older files from the same backup. I could sometimes see two or three of the same files in various locations on my hdd yet they all appear the same. 2 second clips. Oh well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair