Transferring SMS into Android Messages using Samsung Smart Switch, how can this be done?

endoftheline2

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy S9 (Verizon) where I use Android Messages as my default SMS app, I just got a Galaxy S20 5G UW (Verizon) and I am trying to use Samsung Smart Switch to copy the SMS messages from Android Messages on the S9 into Android Messages on the S20. Android Messages is set as the default SMS app on both phones and they are both running Android 10. Smart Switch has worked to copy everything else great like Apps, settings, pictures etc, except for this.

What happens is that the SMS status show successfully copied in Smart Switch, and they show up in the Samsung Messages app correctly but not in the Android Messages App. I tried to disable Samsung Messages but it doesn't seem like you can, best I seem to be able to do is to force stop it right before I try the copy of the SMS texts (disable option just says you can't do this). I also tried copying the actual Messages App itself using Smart Switch, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

The SMS data is being copied and is on my S20, but does anyone know of way to point Android Messages to where it is or to import it? If Smart Switch won't work for this, is there another recommended SMS transfer app to just do a one time copy of messages? I have been using a USBC to USBC cable to connect the two phones so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What you shod do is set stock Samsung message as default once you transfer from smart switch then use Google message. Smart switch back up Samsung message ant Google.

endoftheline2

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot it looks like that worked! I did a quick test of copying one SMS thread with another sms backup app, and that app changed the default SMS to itself and then when I changed the default back to android messages all the messages that smart switch imported were then there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot it looks like that worked! I did a quick test of copying one SMS thread with another sms backup app, and that app changed the default SMS to itself and then when I changed the default back to android messages all the messages that smart switch imported were then there.
That's great
Yeah the stock Samsung message app Is the main app to get transfer with then can use any other 3rd party message app . Your welcome!