How do I detect ID theft malware, software?

Lyndsey Meade

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been looking for info on spyware mal ware and hacked phones, my identity got stolen last year by someone I know and all of a sudden my NEW email in the span folder I have emails directed towards him... Obviously he's at it again. My question os for one how do I detect spyware and how do I protect my phone? Question number 2 u have done alot of asking people why they think this and convincing then they haven't been hacked . you don't know the circumstances why not just answer the questions and tell them and I how to detect and protect ourselves so people like me can read them and keep a low profile while getting help

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you think your phone is infected I would factory reset it after backing up my data and change all my account passwords including email.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Question number 2 u have done alot of asking people why they think this and convincing then they haven't been hacked . you don't know the circumstances why not just answer the questions and tell them and I how to detect and protect ourselves so people like me can read them and keep a low profile while getting help

Because invariably they haven't been hacked. We often get asked about strange file names that users see on their devices most of which are system files or related to an app they installed. Just about every issue is followed by the question "Have I been hacked?" Usually the answer is "no".

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
And for more detailed responses we are not cyber security experts. So if it is not Software related we would recommend you follow Mike's advice and also notify the police or relevant authorities.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Question number 2 u have done alot of asking people why they think this and convincing then they haven't been hacked . you don't know the circumstances why not just answer the questions and tell them and I how to detect and protect ourselves so people like me can read them and keep a low profile while getting help

We can't answer questions simply because they are asked, and it certainly wouldn't be right to answer based on false assumptions. This is especially true when it comes to Android, which is rather hard to hack into. One common hacking complaint is noticing apparent touches and interactions with the phone. I.e. Opening random apps or keyboards typing erratically. They are 100% certain they have been hacked, but the usual culprit is a hardware failure of some kind causing the screen digitizer to glitch. So to pinpoint the problem, we have to ask more questions. Unfortunately those questions often go unanswered, so we can't help them with their problem.

As to your concerns, spam happens and I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that. You mentioned getting a new email, which is good. Did you also update the security on all of your accounts, such as changing passwords and enabling two factor authentication? If not, that could have left an opening. In this vein, I would also suggest using a password manager. I would also put a freeze on your credit reported with the big 3 reporting companies (if you live in the U.S.) Unfortunately, once your ID is out there in the wild, more problems could pop-up without being hacked or having it stolen a second time. You may want to consider a monitoring service to help catch future attempts at using your identity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21