Is Google Hangouts still available and running?

Jul 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys :)

A while ago I heard that Google Hangouts is shutting down and replaced with Google Messages. Fast toward today and I still see tech tubers like Mr. Mobile still using Google Hangouts.

So now I want to know if Google Hangout, and the entire Google Hangouts apps, still available and still running and working?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is Google Hangout still available and running?

I'm sure the end is coming at some point for the consumer version of Hangouts, but I imagine it's been postponed again and again as they try to figure out their muddled messaging strategy.:-\

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

For an app that has been "ending" for years, they keep updating it. The last update was June 11.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

What are some pros for using Google Hangouts compared to other services?

Not that i use it, but i think the main advantage of hangouts is it combines several apps/services into one (messages, meet, duo).

Google like to make their products and services as confusing as possible, which is probably why people don't use them as often as the competition.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I like how it's cross-platform -- I can easily message on my phone, tablet, PC, Chromebook, whatever, and the transition is seamless. And you don't need a phone number -- most other messaging platforms are tied to a phone number.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

It is due to end Beginning of 2021 allegedly. You can now use Google chat and google meet apps with a personal account. They are replacing hangouts.

solo2112

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Another Hangouts user here. Will not give it up until Google pries it from my dead, cold fingers.

As others have mentioned, seamless cross-platform transition, multi-function messaging app (voice, text, video), and for some reasons it keeps getting updated.

KidCuda

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

I think Chat is still restricted to GSuite (just tried myself), you can use Meet with personal accounts now.

KidCuda

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Another Hangouts user here. Will not give it up until Google pries it from my dead, cold fingers.

As others have mentioned, seamless cross-platform transition, multi-function messaging app (voice, text, video), and for some reasons it keeps getting updated.

I think all the tiny updates the app has been getting, have been small feature removals like location sharing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I use Telegram and WhatsApp but have mostly ceased using Hangouts - though I did enjoy the experience. To me, it was very similar to BBM, which was my all-time *favourite* messaging platform.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Never used it.

Like iMessage and RCS it's only a thing in North America.

Oh wait I used it once in Gmail about a decade ago. WhatsApp is too ubiquitous outside of North America.