Facebook failure.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
First attempt to register with face book failure. My details entered ok but when I was trying to sort out how to established contacts it went badly wrong. I have not contacted anyone or they me yet I got a message saying words to the effect facebook suspended due to wrong usage.

In the message it said if I want a review to record a message of my face and follow instructions which I did successfully.

Next message said due to covid 19 they dont have enough staff and a result may not happen.

The above description is not the exact wording but the best I can remember.

I now get a message that they are having problems with English for the uk try English USA.

Which I did but just get the message can't connect.

My wifi is fine and on.

I have tried going to the app and clearing the cache and the data but I still finish up with can't connect

Strangely i have had some notifications with a contact name and tried that link but still message about English followed by can't connect.

I dont know what on earth I have done wrong.

I have never used social media so I am at a loss why this has happened just for signing in.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Thank you. No luck I tried to log in to the link you gave and I got the horrible message below

You can't use Facebook because your account, or activity on it, didn't follow our Community Standards. We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed. To learn more about the reasons why we disable accounts visit the Community Standards.

Makes no sense as I have not had any communications with the community.

They give give no specific reason.
Reading community standards is of no help.

I am 79 and was hoping to try and gain contact with an old friend from the past who once told me they were on Facebook.

This lack of explanation and inability to contact them Is a real shocker to me.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Were those the exact words? If so, it does not sound to me like a genuine Facebook message.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Yes this time I copied and pasted the message .

The fact is the Facebook app is preinstalled on my samsung phone . Got to be genuine surely?

Can"t uninstall otherwise I would have tried that.

It seems impossible to get any direct contact with facebook. No email no phone. Nothing that makes it possible to have a person to person discussion for help.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Can you create another new Facebook account and try again?

Welcome to Android Central! We are glad to have you here!

I too would recommend creating another Facebook account. It seems that making Facebook accounts now, in 2020, is a lot more tedious than it eas when I mine in 2007 and then a new account in 2015.

My mother tried to make a new account and it gave her the runaround. I would suggest trying again and letting us know what happens! I'm sorry you are having these troubles, especially when you are wanting to catch up with an old friend.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Signing up was a bit odd as they wanted my mobile number first. I have an old simple tesco old mobile number I suppose I could use that. Any attempt to use my smartphone has failed several time when trying to re register.

When I was setting up the account if i remember correctly they wanted access to my phone contacts of which I gave permission. I remember even my bank and tradesmen were captured by Facebook.

Thst worried me Privacy reasons bank etc. I did try to find a way deselecting contacts not relevant for me but was struggling to find out how. That's when the app uddenly became disabled.

I am concerned about my bank privacy for example.
Before i attempt another sign on is there a link you know of that could teach me how to safely set up the account.. Otherwise I might simply fall into the same nightmare again. And have no other phone number to use.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought ... You might find it easier to set up a Facebook account using a regular computer instead of a phone.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi all that have tried to help. And thank you.
For the moment at least I am shelving the idea of joining facebook. Reason......

I have just been to the app store and have been reading recent reviews over the last couple of weeks. There are lots of them and the reviews are terrible with only one or two stars given.

Numerous technical problems and failures. People like me cant connect. The whole thing looks beyond what I normally need. For me more hassle than worth. Trying to contact an old friend sadly that's now on hold. Maybe in the future if facebook starts to get good reviews like it apparently did then perhaps I will attempt again. At the moment Facebook app seems to be one big mess after recent updates. Once again thank you all. Best wishes.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, you don't need the Facebook app. I browse it via my mobile web browser 99% of the time. The only time I used the app is if I'm browsing the marketplace.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
For the moment at least I am shelving the idea of joining facebook. Reason......

I have just been to the app store and have been reading recent reviews over the last couple of weeks. There are lots of them and the reviews are terrible with only one or two stars given.

Numerous technical problems and failures. People like me cant connect. The whole thing looks beyond what I normally need. For me more hassle than worth. Trying to contact an old friend sadly that's now on hold. Maybe in the future if facebook starts to get good reviews like it apparently did then perhaps I will attempt again. At the moment Facebook app seems to be one big mess after recent updates. Once again thank you all. Best wishes.

I don't get on social media sights.
Don't trust them.
So you got me beat.

I will be 70 next month.

Do you have any grand kids or younger kids that uses and known how to setup security for Facebook.
If not.
I would get help before using Facebook.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I definitely understand your reasons for not wanting to join Facebook - but maybe you could use a platform like Skype to reconnect with your old friend? All you need is your Microsoft account information, or you could create an email address for Skype.

Or, you could download and use WhatsApp! All that needs is your phone number, and you and your friend could message and video chat.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I definitely understand your reasons for not wanting to join Facebook - but maybe you could use a platform like Skype to reconnect with your old friend? All you need is your Microsoft account information, or you could create an email address for Skype.

Or, you could download and use WhatsApp! All that needs is your phone number, and you and your friend could message and video chat.

Not interested.

Thank You.

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi all again. Had a change of mind. As I have an oldish samsung tablet facebook not installed.

I installed the app signed in not making the same mistake of using my mobile number. Shortened my name used gmail email and a familiar password.

I am in. Dont really understand it yet but did locate the friends facebook page. Haven't made contact yet haven't worked that out yet but I noticed her photo had been removed and replaced with her son and his wife. Her photo still appears dated a year ago.

I am a bit shy of contacting yet in case of bad news ...picture missing....etc

Also found some help to use videoes on youtube not studied yet. Once again thank you for helping a social media amateur.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh I am so glad you managed to find your friend. I know you are shy, but after all that effort perhaps she would be chuffed to hear from you. Good luck and let us know what happens..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all again. Had a change of mind. As I have an oldish samsung tablet facebook not installed.

I installed the app signed in not making the same mistake of using my mobile number. Shortened my name used gmail email and a familiar password.

I am in. Dont really understand it yet but did locate the friends facebook page. Haven't made contact yet haven't worked that out yet but I noticed her photo had been removed and replaced with her son and his wife. Her photo still appears dated a year ago.

I am a bit shy of contacting yet in case of bad news ...picture missing....etc

Also found some help to use videoes on youtube not studied yet. Once again thank you for helping a social media amateur.

I'm so happy you have installed Facebook! Good for you - that's fabulous! I think you should go for it - say "hi" and see what happens! Yes, please let us know what transpires!

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry about the change of profile picture. Some people change them fairly regularly just for variety.

Glad you took the leap and figured out how to do it. Have fun. (I'm 73, just so you know).

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been using Facebook during the lockdown. I’ve had no problems with it.
Consider installing Facebook Messenger as well, so that you can send and receive private messages from Friends who also use it.

App reviews are not always helpful, and it may be that people with negative feelings are more likely to post reviews. I don’t know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith