Google Play Services draining my S7 battery

tommyboy65

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Since Friday my phone (Samsung S7) has been draining battery at a fast rate - just this morning it has gone from 100% to 86% in 23 minutes. Looking at the culprits, it seems Google Play Services is by far the highest battery sucker. I also get messages stating that com.google.android.gms.persistent (a Google Play Services process I think) is taking too much CPU time and should be stopped.

I have checked SW versions (phone and Google Play), restarted the phone multiple times, but its still the same. It only started late last Friday night, and does not coincide with any new app install.

Any ideas/fixes?

Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It happens every now and then on my LG V30.
Seems like a Google server it wants to talk to isn't playing nice based on the network traffic.
When I notice it, I just turn on the "airplane" mode for a minute to stop all radio communication, which stops the problem.
I have no idea about the why or how to actually fix it.

Ciaran Fanning

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
wiping the cache partition worked for me. Google play services was at 95% of total battery app usage yesterday, now 2% . hope you get sorted tomboy65

tommyboy65

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Seems fine this morning. It may be related to the COVID Tracker app in Ireland - just heard on the news that it caused battery drain issues over the weekend. It didnt show up as an app that was hogging the CPU, but maybe there was an update for it that drove Play Services mental

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Seems fine this morning. It may be related to the COVID Tracker app in Ireland - just heard on the news that it caused battery drain issues over the weekend. It didnt show up as an app that was hogging the CPU, but maybe there was an update for it that drove Play Services mental
One thing to do when you see something high on the list in battery stats is force close that app can fix glitches if it was having any or hang up for some reason by restarting that app.

tommyboy65

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
One thing to do when you see something high on the list in battery stats is force close that app can fix glitches if it was having any or hang up for some reason by restarting that app.

Yeah, but the COVID tracker wasn't showing as high, Google Play Services was, and forcing that to shutdown didn't seem to work

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Part of the problem may be that various apps can utilize parts of Play Services, and when you see the battery usage, it won't necessarily specify which app is responsible for that usage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

tommyboy65

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
That's the one. My phone was not much more than a short lived pocket warmer for the weekend, but, notwithstanding the HSE claim that a "fix is imminent", the issue went away Monday morning