Fingerprint sensor not in settings

drdachel

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
I hope I'm in the right spot for this question. I have a new Moto G7 Supra (running on Cricket) that I've had for a month or so. I'm running Android 9 (which says its up to date), Current version is PCOS29.114-134-17 (whatever that means) with security patch June 1, 2020.

I recently ran the updated for security patch and soon after my fingerprint not only stopped working but disappeared entirely from my phone. If I go to settings>security and location it's not listed as an option to activate on the page (nor advanced). I've talked with Moto Tier 2 support and they asked me to do a factory reset which I've done 3 times. I did reset back to back up prior to security patch as well as recent back up. In both cases it still shows security patch as June 1 2020.

It's probably not a big deal but I use Dashlane which had option to open use fingerprint which is much easier than my very complicated master password.

Thanks for volunteering your time to do this.

Dan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- this was an official system update pushed over the air, and not an update file you downloaded from some website, right?

drdachel

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
That could be the case, but you'd think sensor would just not work. Instead it's like option to even have a sensor on device disappeared. no setting associated with it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you've already done a factory reset 3 times and the problem persists, then I'd guess it's either a hardware failure or corrupt firmware. I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to reinstall the firmware for that phone. Considering how new it is, it might be easier to contact Moto for warranty repair/replacement.

Are you using one of the Android Central apps, or the desktop website?

drdachel

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Ok, thanks. They want me to pay $30 or so to receive a phone first in mail vice me sending my actual one into repair which is free but I'm out a phone for 10 days. The principal of it irks me. Yes, I'm using laptop. just saw button in advanced to send via email, so hopefully that will work.

I'll research firmware reinstall.