Hi all,

In previous posts I whined about how horrible my S7 is and contemplated a new phone, possibly a Nokia. I just this morning received a new Nokia 7.1. I have google backing up my S7. Should I restore one of those to this new phone, or set it up as new? I need to keep my text messages.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-18-2020 01:36 PM
    I'd restore your backup. It doesn't mean the phone's OS version will suddenly revert to a previous one -- it's just data that get restored. The only caveat would be if you were concerned about malware on your previous phone.
    09-18-2020 02:04 PM
    Not worried about malware, it was just full of Samsung S### and didn't know what would transfer. I suppose if I don't like the restore I can wipe it again?
    09-18-2020 04:06 PM
    A lot of the Samsung apps wouldn't install on your Nokia phone anyway, since a lot of them are probably only compatible with Samsung phones. Other apps that installed as part of the restore could always be uninstalled.
    09-18-2020 04:52 PM
    Restoring and setting up now
    Morty2264 and B. Diddy like this.
    09-19-2020 08:04 AM
    Restoring and setting up now
    Great! Congratulations on your new phone, and let us know how the restoration and set-up go!
    09-19-2020 08:19 AM
    I'm about as done as I can be. The restore got the most important thing, my text messages. The rest is kind of sporadic. Most apps came in just fine. Some were greyed out as they were Samsung and not coming to the Nokia Party. Some apps were already signed in, some not. Outlook seemed to know about accounts but they had to be actually added. I'm still using Nova launcher because I like it but I may try the factory one.

I had a HELL of a time getting my MS accounts contacts to sync from Outlook to the "Contacts" app. In my OREO S7 I set up which accounts to sync, then told it which accounts to display. In this version, I set up the accounts to sync, but had to click my "badge" in the upper right that allowed me to select one account or all accounts, nothing in between. Most of the hassle was trying to figure this second step out. Once I did that, contacts showed, text messages had names and we're all good.

Overall, the phone is a little taller than I'd like with my stubby fat fingers but it looks and feels solid. And it's GD fast!!! I'm not waiting endlessly for various things. Maps was phone crushing on my S7, so much so I used Maps Go. On the 7.1 it's like lightning! The fingerprint unlock is fast too. I don't need or expect a lot out of a phone and I'm pretty happy so far.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
    B. Diddy and Morty2264 like this.
    09-19-2020 11:17 AM