What is this (see pic)? A bad OLED?

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Please see attached photos.

There was also:
1) some "blurriness"/strobing at certain brightness levels, esp. right after coming out of sleep mode
2) a faint black horizontal line starting at the "ellipse" and going the whole way across the screen.

A local repair shop replaced the OLED and an ellipse is still there... approximately the same size, but I did not take a picture with the old OLED in, so I can't be sure, but I *think* it is slightly lower with the replacement board...?

The Note 9 was dropped several weeks ago and the ellipse showed up shortly thereafter. The front glass was not cracked in any way. There is a tiny, tiny chip near the stylus on the back glass; not sure if that was there before or not.

What are the odds that the replacement OLED was damaged in shipping before it was installed in my Note 9? Is this a known issue, etc.?

1.jpg
2.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That's a bad LCD. Did this happen before or after the replacement? Either the LCD cracked or some components worked loose in/after the drop. If the screen was replaced after the drop, the phone is tweaked or dented and the pressure from that caused the new screen to fail in the same way.

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
The black half-circle was there before the replacement, but it (or another one in almost the same place?) was there *after* the replacement as well. That's what makes it so weird.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As I noted in my first reply, if the frame or other part of the phone that the screen contacts is bent or dented in that spot it could have caused this to happen when it was reassembled. This is especially the case if that spot is in the same place on this screen as it was on the original.

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
As I noted in my first reply, if the frame or other part of the phone that the screen contacts is bent or dented in that spot it could have caused this to happen when it was reassembled. This is especially the case if that spot is in the same place on this screen as it was on the original.

Thanks. I'm going back to the repair shop when the new part comes in; I'll tell him what you said.

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I will take it back as soon as the new OLED comes in.

If something inside the phone is *that* bent, it's strange that he didn't catch it. I kind of hope that it was a defective OLED (the first one he used to replace my damaged one).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

If something inside the phone is *that* bent, it's strange that he didn't catch it. I kind of hope that it was a defective OLED (the first one he used to replace my damaged one).

Wow, those pictures really captured the issue there! Poor you! Please let us know what happens when you take it back to the repair shop.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Yeah hope so , keep us posted !

Dougmeister

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Must have been a bad replacement OLED. They ordered another OLED and now it looks great.

I specifically asked the technician (different that the first gentleman) to look for signs of damage to the phone frame, etc. that might cause the screen to go wonky. He didn't. (There was no external visible damage: to the front glass, no cracks, etc. The side of the phone looked fine, as did the back glass, except for a tiny chip near the stylus. No internal damage noted either.)

VERY strange, though, that the black ellipse (?) appeared at almost the same exact spot on the 1st replacement as the original OLED that I had dropped.

Thanks everyone for your help in getting this fixed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney