Magazine: blocked by play protect

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Did you install this app yourself, or did it suddenly appear on your phone? You're unable to uninstall it from your Settings>Apps​ menu?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Again, which phone? Go to Settings>Apps and then tap Menu>Show System. Now see if you can find Magazine listed there.

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Phone: U683CL

I go to settings and can see apps and notifications, but no magazine--and I presume because I prevented it from being installed--yet I get that play protect message each morning.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
you don't need to see the magazine to disable play protect. it is a general setting. it is in the play store menu. I originally said it is in the settings but it could also be right above the settings depending on the phone os.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear -- you went to the system settings, then tapped Apps & Notifications, then tapped the option to see All Apps, then tapped Menu>Show System, correct?

Unimax (along with other Lifeline phone manufacturers) is known for preinstalling adware, so it's possible Play Protect has flagged one of Unimax's preinstalled apps as unsafe.

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi:

I don't see Menu>Show System. Also, I think this issue began with a system update a few days ago. The problem Magazine app isn't installed, as far as I can see.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In this screenshot, tap "See All 45 Apps," then on the next screen, look for a 3-dot menu button in the upper right, tap that, then Show System. Then look for Magazine.

Judging from the Play Protect screen, it's also possible some other app on your phone is trying to auto-install this app, and Play Protect is blocking it. This also would not be unusual behavior for an app with adware, whether it was installed by you or preinstalled by the manufacturer.

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Found the 3-dot menu, and Magazine is not in the system. When I click on learn more on the warning, says not found. Any suggestion on how to get rid of the warning? Could I install and then delete, or not a good idea.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I think we've narrowed this down to one of the apps on the phone that is trying to install this Magazine app automatically (which, as I mentioned before, is not unusual behavior for adware-infested phones).

See if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://support.myfamilymobile.com/faqs/1651187?device=24968. (Those steps are for a different Unimax model, but they should still work on yours.) If it doesn't, then some app you installed is the culprit -- you'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away. If the problem does persist in Safe Mode, then it's due to some preinstalled app, in which case there's not much you can do. Preinstalled adware is a problem on these Lifeline phones, which is a shame.

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Tried to start safe mode, but didn't work. Will try again. Note: shutting down and restarting seems to hide the warning until the next morning. It appears that Google Play protect checks only once a day.

My phone has been pretty much stable: I recently installed Accubattery, but then deleted it after a few days. Also, as I've mentioned, downloaded a system software update a few days ago--which is when I think the issue began.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski