Unable to enter the recovery mode to do factory reset, Stuck in Odin Mode

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
I thought it would be good to post this question in this general forum instead of going to the forum for this specific model (Galaxy Core)

I have an older Samsung phone model Galaxy Core SM-G360F which I didn't use for several years. Today I wanted to use it again, but I can't remember the password that I set up on it years ago. I decided to do a factory reset, but alas, for some reason I am unable to get the recovery menu with the usual key combination: Volume UP + HOME + Power On. If I keep these three keys pressed, the phone turns on and displays this menu:

QJabmNB.jpeg

Please note that there is nothing below this text except the Samsung's usual logo. Here is a picture where I tried to catch the entire mobile phone's screen:

274oPd3.jpg

I don't know why this "Odin Mode" appears instead of the recovery mode from which I could select Factory reset?

If I keep the following 3 buttons pressed: Volume Down + HOME + Power On, I will get the download screen like this:

v288Z8E.jpg

and pressing Volume UP leads me to something that also seems to be some form of Odin Menu. But I can't choose Factory reset from that menu either. If I press Volume Down at that point the phone just restarts itself.

Does anyone know how to get into the Recovery mode by using the phone's buttons only?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Choose restart , then before screen comes back on to restart hold volume up/power button sane time , if It takes you to a bot just hold sane buttons momentarily again then should be in recovery

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Choose restart , then before screen comes back on to restart hold volume up/power button sane time , if It takes you to a bot just hold sane buttons momentarily again then should be in recovery

When I select Restart, then hold Volume Up + Power button, it just boots normally and asks for the password (which I forgot). That combo doesn't bring up any specific menu.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When I select Restart, then hold Volume Up + Power button, it just boots normally and asks for the password (which I forgot). That combo doesn't bring up any specific menu.

Try from turning the phone off first then before it starts holding them

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Try from turning the phone off first then before it starts holding them

Just tried it: Turned the phone off. Then held Volume UP + Power button. This doesn't bring up any menu, just boots normally and leads into the Android itself.

I am thinking.. perhaps years ago I tried to flash this phone using Odin and it somehow "remembered" that and now expects to continue with that operation? No idea if that's the case, but I think I might have tried something like that. I didn't actually flash the rom. I continued to use the phone as it is from the factory, but maybe my attempt was somehow remembered?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just tried it: Turned the phone off. Then held Volume UP + Power button. This doesn't bring up any menu, just boots normally and leads into the Android itself.

I am thinking.. perhaps years ago I tried to flash this phone using Odin and it somehow "remembered" that and now expects to continue with that operation? No idea if that's the case, but I think I might have tried something like that. I didn't actually flash the rom. I continued to use the phone as it is from the factory, but maybe my attempt was somehow remembered?
You will most likely need to flash the firmware again

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Quick question you said it boots up to Android , what do you mean?

I mean it just loads the Android OS as usual, without giving me any special menu to choose from. It's as if I just pressed the Power On button alone and switched on the phone in the most regular way. But since the current Android has a set up password (which I forgot), I can't use it. I can't get past the "enter the password" screen.

Is there any other way to remove the password except the factory reset? Btw. I think this phone uses Kitkat.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I mean it just loads the Android OS as usual, without giving me any special menu to choose from. It's as if I just pressed the Power On button alone and switched on the phone in the most regular way. But since the current Android has a set up password (which I forgot), I can't use it. I can't get past the "enter the password" screen.

Is there any other way to remove the password except the factory reset? Btw. I think this phone uses Kitkat.
Unfortunately factory reset , if you can't get into recovery then flash the firmware, bering this old and on kitkat might want look for something newer.

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately factory reset , if you can't get into recovery then flash the firmware, bering this old and on kitkat might want look for something newer.

Just one more question. In the instructions for Odin, it says that some changes to the settings need to be made before flashing the phone in order to avoid bricking it. On this page: https://odinflashtool.com/tutorial/use-odin-flash-tool/

Enable USB Debugging on your device from Settings -> Developer Options. If Developer Options is missing or not enabled, then go to Settings -> About Phone and tap on Build Number for about 7-10 times.
Unlock Bootloader as installing CF Auto Root, Custom Firmware, Custom Recovery, and other patch files require an unlocked bootloader. Otherwise, it may brick your device.
Kill Samsung PC Suites like Samsung Kies etc. So, they won’t interfere with the Odin Downloader.

Now, obviously, since I can't get past the Enter the Password screen on this phone, I am unable to access those menu items and make the necessary changes. Do you think I should nevertheless proceed and try to flash the phone with the factory ROM even if I am not sure that those settings have been adjusted as described above? I *might* have changed those settings years ago when I tried to flash it, or I might not have. I really can't remember. But now I don't know how to check that.

The only other alternative would be to take the phone to a mobile service and ask them to try to flash it. But it's doubtful whether they would be able to do anything different than what I can do?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All the phones I flashed I didn't need to save usb debugging enabled . You'll need to find your exact model and region for your device .
The tools for the firmware can download at XDA Forums called samfirm latest or frija and extract them with 7zip.

Make sure your in download mode for this and use the latest Odin first otherwise older Odin , when connect to computer it shows Com port example 9 in odin box .

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
All the phones I flashed I didn't need to save usb debugging enabled . You'll need to find your exact model and region for your device .
The tools for the firmware can download at XDA Forums called samfirm latest or frija and extract them with 7zip.

Make sure your in download mode for this and use the latest Odin first otherwise older Odin , when connect to computer it shows Com port example 9 in odin box .

Hi mustang7757, sorry about resurrecting this old thread, I couldn't find the necessary time to deal with this problem when this thread was started, but now I would like to try to see what can be done about it.

As for Samfirm or Frija, both of them require the CSC code, but the problem is that I am unable to find that code for this phone because it won't let me get past the "enter the password" screen. As far as I know, one can see the CSC code by dialing *#1234# or by going to Settings -> About phone -> Software settings, but I am not able to do any of these things.

The only information about this phone that I know is what is written on the sticker below the battery. This is what I can see there:

View attachment 329214

Could you please help me with finding out the CSC code and the correct firmware for this phone? I already downloaded some firmware from website called a2zrom.com, and its file name is G360FXXS1BQA5_G360FAUT1BOI1_G360FXXS1BQA2_HOME.tar .md5. It appears to be some kind of generic firmware, but I am not sure if it would be safe for flashing my phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi mustang7757, sorry about resurrecting this old thread, I couldn't find the necessary time to deal with this problem when this thread was started, but now I would like to try to see what can be done about it.

As for Samfirm or Frija, both of them require the CSC code, but the problem is that I am unable to find that code for this phone because it won't let me get past the "enter the password" screen. As far as I know, one can see the CSC code by dialing *#1234# or by going to Settings -> About phone -> Software settings, but I am not able to do any of these things.

The only information about this phone that I know is what is written on the sticker below the battery. This is what I can see there:

View attachment 329214

Could you please help me with finding out the CSC code and the correct firmware for this phone? I already downloaded some firmware from website called a2zrom.com, and its file name is G360FXXS1BQA5_G360FAUT1BOI1_G360FXXS1BQA2_HOME.tar .md5. It appears to be some kind of generic firmware, but I am not sure if it would be safe for flashing my phone?
Can you get into download mode ?, at the top of the screen should tell your firmware

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Can you get into download mode ?, at the top of the screen should tell your firmware

I am able to get into the download mode when I press Volume down + Home + Power On, and this is the screen that I see in that case:

v288Z8E.jpg

But I don't see any info about the firmware version on that screen?

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
This is the next screen which I get when I press Volume Up (Continue). It looks just like the screen I'm getting when I press Home + power on + Volume Up in the first place, but it has also the android robot below saying "downloading... do not turn off the target".

download_screen2.jpg

I don't see the firmware info on this screen either.

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Yeah , it has a custom one already on it
You can't get into recovery correct?

No, that's the problem. I get the same text in both cases, when I press Power on + Home + Volume Up AND when I press Power on + Home + Volume Down (then volume Up to continue). In both cases it doesn't give me the option to choose Factory reset.

Can this phone be flashed at all?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, that's the problem. I get the same text in both cases, when I press Power on + Home + Volume Up AND when I press Power on + Home + Volume Down (then volume Up to continue). In both cases it doesn't give me the option to choose Factory reset.

Can this phone be flashed at all?
Yeah its because it has a custom rom and recovery, it should be able to flash to stock , like I mentioned in samfirm or frija put your model number and region and download that firmware

Antarmanu71

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
By the way, I bought this phone in a store that specializes for mobile phones, and it wasn't tied to any particular mobile service (I bought a sim card later at a newstand).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz