Yesterday I dropped my pixel 3a and have been unable to turn it on. When I set up my new phone (Samsung Galaxy A51), I restored the data from my previous phone. All of my photos were restored with no problem, but some of my contacts are missing and all of my texts from the past 3 months are gone. I checked my google drive and it says that my pixel's call history and SMS were backed up this morning so it's not that my Pixel wasn't backed up recently. Is there any way I can retrieve this data? I tried connecting my phones to do a direct data transfer but since my Pixel won't turn on that was a no go.
    10-23-2020 08:21 PM
    You may have saved some of your contacts back when the default storage location was "Phone" - those never god backed up.

Your older texts might have gotten dropped.

And unless you had local backups, whatever is missing is gone. There's nothing to "retrieve".
    10-23-2020 09:08 PM
    You may have saved some of your contacts back when the default storage location was "Phone"
    I don't think the Pixel 3a ever supported local contacts storage, always using the Google account for contacts. Of course, that makes the missing contacts all the more puzzling...
    10-23-2020 10:08 PM
    Check your Google Contacts using your computer browser (at contacts.google.com) -- are all of the contacts there?

Are you certain you selected the Pixel 3a's backup when you were asked which backup to choose? If you have other devices, maybe you chose one of those backups?
    10-24-2020 12:00 AM
    It's only the recent texts that are missing. I have texts from as far back as 2018, and up until August of this year but nothing from after that point.
    10-24-2020 12:40 AM
    Check your Google Contacts using your computer browser (at contacts.google.com) -- are all of the contacts there?

Are you certain you selected the Pixel 3a's backup when you were asked which backup to choose? If you have other devices, maybe you chose one of those backups?

Hmm, I checked my contacts using my computer and it's missing the same contacts as my phone. What does that mean? And yes, I don't have any other devices.
    10-24-2020 12:44 AM
    Did you have an Outlook account or something similar synced to the Pixel 3a? hallux is correct -- Pixel phones don't have the option to save contacts to a local Device Account, so the default is to your Google account. The only thing I can think of would be that you had some other account synced to the phone, and perhaps the contacts that are missing were from that non-Google account.
    10-24-2020 01:44 AM
    Did you have an Outlook account or something similar synced to the Pixel 3a? hallux is correct -- Pixel phones don't have the option to save contacts to a local Device Account, so the default is to your Google account. The only thing I can think of would be that you had some other account synced to the phone, and perhaps the contacts that are missing were from that non-Google account.
    No, I only ever had a google account synced to my Pixel. Any suggestions?
    10-24-2020 03:03 AM
    Go to contacts.google.com on your computer browser and scroll down to the bottom of the left column. Click Trash there -- any of those contacts there?
    10-24-2020 03:05 AM
    Go to contacts.google.com on your computer browser and scroll down to the bottom of the left column. Click Trash there -- any of those contacts there?
    No contacts in the trash. This is so confusing. Also, it turns out my Pixel does turn on but my screen display is totally broken. So maybe there's a way I can connect my device to my PC and use data extraction software to retrieve the missing contacts and texts?
    10-24-2020 12:39 PM
    You can try to connect the phones directly via USB-C cable and use Quick Switch to copy the data over: https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../7129955?hl=en. This might require you to reset the new phone first and set it up again.
    10-24-2020 12:46 PM
    You can try to connect the phones directly via USB-C cable and use Quick Switch to copy the data over: https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../7129955?hl=en. This might require you to reset the new phone first and set it up again.
    I can't use quick switch because my pixel has a broken screen. However, I think I may have figured out an alternative method. I will let you know if it works, thanks.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-24-2020 01:08 PM
    If your contacts were previously backed up to voovle you can ask to restore your ,onto,to from an earlier date. It is in contacts app and restore. Then choose a time when you had all your contacts and restore from there.
    10-24-2020 01:55 PM
    Hmm, I checked my contacts using my computer and it's missing the same contacts as my phone. What does that mean? And yes, I don't have any other devices.
    If its missing from computer and device then they most likely got deleted somehow.
    10-24-2020 03:21 PM