Strange image file under internal memory?

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I've noticed through a Google photo notification (new folder found, do you want to backup it?) that under the main folder in internal memory, there was an image not downloaded or saved by me yesterday (last modification date). Nothing strange with the image, it seemed to be a background (an autumn landscape), it was named something like login_bg etc etc and some numbers after the .jpg extension... the strange thing is that this file has not been saved my me... could the firefox browser save directly in the main folder of internal memory? Could be some app? The resolution was about 340 x 680, just a smartphone background format...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Strange image file under internal memory

Welcome to Android Central! Apps can create their own directory to cache images, and if the app developer wasn't smart enough to include a .nomedia file in that directory, then the system will treat it like any new directory with an image. Using the gallery app, select that image and look at its Info/Details -- what's the pathname for the directory it's in?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site

Hi, to describe the issue more precisely, the jpg file is not viewed in gallery because it's something like "login_bg.jpg.somenumbers", where the numbers represent the timestamp in linux format. The file was stored directly under /storage/emulated/0.
The image was nothing strange, just an autumn landscape and searching the image on google images, I found out that's a very popular image used in many, many website (and even in site that sell images like shutterstock etc etc...); so my question is to understand which application could have saved this image... I have no strange or bad reputation apps installed on the phone (android 10) and I have and constantly use malwarebytes and microsoft defender ATP; I think there are no viruses or malware on the phone.
Directly in the same path (/storage/emulated/0), there is just another file (the log of my smartwatch app), and many folders (android, DCIM, etc etc...), so it seems that apps could write in that folder... I thought Android apps could write only in their folder, instead it seem they could write in almost any path. Is that way?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It would be odd for any app to save an image to the root user directory /storage/emulated/0. I don't use Firefox, but I would guess that it would download files either to the /Download directory, or a specific Firefox/Mozilla directory.

I doubt it's anything problematic, but I'd delete the file and then see if it (or any similar file) crops up again later.

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site

Hi, I deleted the image this morning and at the moment it have not been created again. The log file of Asus vivowatch app is in the same internal storage root folder, but if I delete the file, it's immediately created again. I could not uninstall the asus smartwatch app... what should I do?
Thank you

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
The app is called HiVivo, it's official app from Asus. It lets me uninstall it; maybe some config files are corrupted? that's why you suggest to uninstall? could I reinstall it? I have scanned the app with various antimalware/antivirus.
Thanks a lot

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that even after uninstaling HiVivo, the ASUS logfile still gets created?

I wouldn't be worried about malware.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you reinstall the app, it would not be surprising that it creates the log file automatically. I asked if the file gets created even if you uninstall the app.