Anyone having problem with Messages for Web?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just recently, I've had problems with Google Messages for Web on my Chromebooks, where if I try to start a new conversation, or bring one back from Archived, it'll show the thread for a few seconds, then revert to a window that says "Keep your phone online. Messages for web works with your phone so you can send & receive messages on your computer. To reduce data usage, connect your phone to Wi-Fi." I've already tried unpairing the phone and then setting it up again, with the same result. I'm on the latest stable Chrome OS version. Anyone else see this, either on a Chromebook or on the Chrome browser on a Windows or Mac machine?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I see this sometimes. My connection is not great. I am on the 2nd floor and we have no windows at work.

The router is far away so the wifi is not strong.

Windows
Chrome browser
Microsoft Edge browser

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks -- my wi-fi is definitely strong. I also tried setting my phone to prefer wi-fi calling over mobile signal, but that didn't make a difference either.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on Tmobile. V60

But, I have had the same thing happen on other phones - Note 8 Note 9 LG V40

I don't use messages for web at home so I'd have to test at home to see how it works and if I see that message.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I use it quite a bit, since I'm often on my Pixelbook at home. I much prefer typing out a message with a real keyboard over using an onscreen keyboard or dictating.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The process of clearing the app cache/data effectively unpaired the phone, so I had to re-pair already.