Why is my phone jumping from home screen to lock screen?

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
I wasn't getting anywhere searching, so I came here.

What is happening is, I'll be using my phone like normal, & suddenly I will be returned to my home screen, with no icons, just wallpaper. Then it will go to my lock screen, then back to the no icon screen - back & forth until I reset my phone.

Any idea what is causing this & how to fix it?

I have an LG Stylo 3...no new updates, no new apps. And all installed apps are from Google Play store.

Thanks

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
I do not have a flipcover case, but yes, I have been using a screen protector almost the entire time I've had this phone. I got it in 2018. It has been a great phone til now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anything that might contain a magnet right next to the phone? The reason I ask about this or a flipcover case is that a magnet in the wrong place could be triggering the smartcover sensor, which would cause the screen to lock.

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Well, my cover, I guess, is magnetized on the back to go in the case I never even use. But I have also been using this cover almost the whole time I've had this phone. And it only covers the back & sides.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This can be tedious, but you can always try using the phone in Safe Mode for a day or two (if feasible) to see if the problem still happens. If not, then it's most likely a problem with one of the apps you installed -- but then the challenge would be to figure out which app. Sometimes all you can do is uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/lg-stylo-3-plus/safe-mode-lg-stylo-3-plus

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
I think I will try safe mode.

Can an app suddenly cause problems, even if you had it a long time? It's been quite a while since I added any apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An app can certainly start causing problems since they're usually being updated on a regular basis by the developer, and one of those updates could potentially cause glitches.

Thoffman82

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue since the first Android 11 update. This 2nd update did not help. I'll be using my phone and it'll randomly lock and I have to unlock it. In fact, it just happened while I was typing this....Sometimes this happens right after I unlock it, it'll immediately go back to the lock screen. I will try safe mode as well and see what happens. I've been delaying factory reset bc I hate it.

Thoffman82

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Update: it didn't happen in safe mode. I haven't done anything new or install any apps since the big update before it started except change all my work apps to the Knox secure folder. I'm not sure if that's doing it, but it happens both when the secure folder is active and not. If you guys think of something else, please let me know. I really don't want to factory reset

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may still have to uninstall apps one by one. It's still possible that the system update introduced some kind of incompatibility with one of your previously installed apps.

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Okay, I'm back.

Thoffman82, when my phone went to lock screen, it went straight back to home screen without me unlocking it. And I haven't had any system updates. I think I'm version 8.

My phone was fine in safe mode - which was from Wednesday to yesterday - & so far, hasn't done it since I got out of safe mode. Which is strange, but still might happen again. I guess if it does, I'll start going through my apps.

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Update...phone still seems to be okay...so I had a thought...

I think it started after I put a video/live wallpaper on there that I got from Zedge. It was still doing it after I changed it, but since it seems to be okay now, I just wonder if that could have caused a problem. Anything else I have ever gotten from Zedge never caused any problems, though, so Idk. But, this was the first video/live wallpaper I got from there.

Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try changing the wallpaper back to one of those video live wallpapers from Zedge, and see if the problem comes back.

Stormyrose786

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Hmm...I might...I'm a little afraid to, honestly, though, in case it does. But I still wanna give it a couple more days to see if it is still doing okay.

I do know I don't plan on using those type wallpapers again. I like them, but they kill the battery, always have.

Still, I may try that later, just to see. I'll update if I find out something. Thanks ☺