How can i update my older devce

iAmMe007z

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I have the LG Stylo 3 w/ Android 7 and through the years it never updated its Android O.S fingers pont to the manufacturer idk but how can I update it now

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most budget phones never get a major system update, and midrange phones (like yours) are lucky to get one -- it can depend on the manufacturer, and LG has never been very good about it. If updates are important to you, then stick with phones made by Google (i.e., Pixels) or OnePlus (which has had a good record of updates), and to a lesser extent Samsung.

JR Raphael keeps track of which manufacturers are doing a good job (spoiler alert: not many) when it comes to updates: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3530002/android-10-upgrade-report-card.html

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The Stylo 3 is almost 4 years old now, and even the best manufacturers don't support their phones that long. If it's not detecting any official updates to install, your only option would be to look for a third party version of the OS. Some independent developers will continue supporting a device longer than the manufacturer, but even this isn't a sure bet. Even if you found one (which is unlikely for lesser phones), there are additional concerns. You have to make sure the specific OS is designed for your make, model, and version of your phone (meaning a Sprint Stylo 3 OS wouldn't work if yours is a Verizon version). You also have the inherent risks of installing an OS from someone you don't know, and the act of installing risks bricking your phone if you aren't extremely careful.

Given the age and low specs of the phone, I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth trying to update it, even if you can find an update. I would either leave it as is, or buy a better phone all together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay