Best unlocked GSM device for under $300 USD

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm a happy Sprint customer who is going to be heading overseas for work on and off for the remainder of the year.

I'm not thrilled about the XPRT from Sprint and I need something this week, so the Photon isn't an option.

What would be the best device I can buy, on or off contract that would work overseas for $300 or less?

I have a work blackberry, so I'm less concerned about making and receiving calls - this is an app/email/texting device first and if I do use it for calling, it would be using GV.

The dell streak 5 would've been perfect; I can use it as a tablet (fine for my needs) and if really necessary, a phone. But, looks like stock is out with Dell and I can't find one with any of the carriers.

Any suggestions are welcome.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Best is always highly subjective (regardless of topic) and, as is typical with these sorts of threads, you've given us nothing to work with. What are your priorities/requirements? Have you compared devices in person to assess your preferences for physical characteristics (size, weight, keyboard, screen, "build quality")? Where exactly overseas? Which carrier? Not every country uses the same GSM bands. We need these details to give you relevant recommendations.

If one GSM device was universally best then all GSM users would use that one device. That's clearly not the case. Help us help you. You need to give us criteria to narrow down the options. Pretty much any device can handle apps/email/texting.

Have you confirmed that GV will work in the country/countries you're going to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae