BBC Weather app

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with the BBC Weather app. It's been down for at least 24 hours now and constantly says "your location is not available".

It's the same issue on both my phone and my wife's phone.

I know it's nothing to do with the recent Webview issue as I sorted that out earlier today by upgrading both Chrome and Webview.

No matter what UK city I select, it still fails.

Any ideas?

I have tried other weather apps and they all work just fine

Last edited by a moderator:

matkinson999

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
No help I'm afraid, but me too. Likewise I've updated Android System Webview which fixed other apps. There are reports from esteemed papers such as the Express pointing at this fix, but already done! Clearing app cache has no effect.

Roddytherat

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Yes, BBC weather app is still not working on both of our phones this morning, despite the updates to Chrome, etc yesterday. Just says local forecast not available. Interestingly, Android System Webview is disabled and cannot be enabled, which is probably connected to the problem (I've heard elsewhere that Chrome is causing it to be disabled). However, have seen a news report this morning that the continuing problem is known about so hopefully a further fix will be forthcoming.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, BBC weather app is still not working on both of our phones this morning, despite the updates to Chrome, etc yesterday. Just says local forecast not available. Interestingly, Android System Webview is disabled and cannot be enabled, which is probably connected to the problem (I've heard elsewhere that Chrome is causing it to be disabled). However, have seen a news report this morning that the continuing problem is known about so hopefully a further fix will be forthcoming.

Welcome to Android Central! Remember that for Android 7 through 9, Chrome became the default System Webview app, so Android System Webview is always disabled for those devices. Any fix that was pushed for Android System Webview for the recent problems should've also been reflected in the latest update to Chrome (for those devices running Nougat through Pie).

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
You've already tried clearing the app cache/data for BBC Weather, force stopping it, then opening again?
Yes, did all of that. I even deleted the app and then reinstalled it with no luck. 12 hours later both phones were then running the app with no problems.

I am certain that it was a problem at the BBC end.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Whatever the problem, it still does not work for me, despite doing all the usual things.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's working normally on iPhone - on which it tells me to expect light cloud and light winds tomorrow - so it's some Android problem.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It's working normally on iPhone - on which it tells me to expect light cloud and light winds tomorrow - so it's some Android problem.
Thanks, I just hope they get it sorted soon.

It first started playing up Tuesday night but on Wednesday morning both phones were working ok. (Nokia 7.2 and 6.2). Wednesday night they both failed again.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
SUNDAY 28TH MARCH

The BBC have just issued an update supposedly fixing the problem we had last week. Bit odd really because it's been working ok for a few days now.

At least they've acknowledged the issue. +1 BBC.