Anyone has a Galaxy A series (especially A71/A72?) frontal camera question PLEASE

danielthesea

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi!!

I recently got a Galaxy A72 (which is very similar to the A71 so if you have an A71 answer anyway please).

I work for a contact lenses company and for work I take close shots of my eyes, I would do this with my old phone which was a galaxy S9 and the pictures taken with the frontal camera would be extremely sharp, you could see every eyebrow and eye lash, great selfie quality for close shots.

I tried to do the same with my A72 and the close shots with the selfie camera are extremely blurry.

I mainly want to know if this happens to all of you and I will have to learn how to take them with the rear camera (which will be a lot more complicated), or as a Samsung "Expert" suggested I need to factory reset my phone and send it to repair haha. Im almost certain it's the phone camera not being as good, but now this Samsung guy made me doubt if I got a defective phone.

Thanks to anyone that can help!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi!!

I recently got a Galaxy A72 (which is very similar to the A71 so if you have an A71 answer anyway please).

I work for a contact lenses company and for work I take close shots of my eyes, I would do this with my old phone which was a galaxy S9 and the pictures taken with the frontal camera would be extremely sharp, you could see every eyebrow and eye lash, great selfie quality for close shots.

I tried to do the same with my A72 and the close shots with the selfie camera are extremely blurry.

I mainly want to know if this happens to all of you and I will have to learn how to take them with the rear camera (which will be a lot more complicated), or as a Samsung "Expert" suggested I need to factory reset my phone and send it to repair haha. Im almost certain it's the phone camera not being as good, but now this Samsung guy made me doubt if I got a defective phone.

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
Until we get some A71/A72 users to chime in , try safe mode or resetting the camera

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was searching for any information on whether that might be a fixed-focus camera, but couldn't come up with anything specific.

danielthesea

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I checked in Samsung members app and some had issues with A71 and have some tips to try .

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-a-series/samsung-galaxy-a71-camera-problem/td-p/1609509View attachment 333099

well the A71/72 front camera is 32MP, not 64, but i already have it on 32. Don't get me wrong a normal selfie of your face with arm distance looks fine. Thing is if i want to take a close shot of my face and make it look sharp like I did with my S9 its not possible, its blurry af.

Would fixed focus cause this? because its definitely not an auto focus cam and not much happens when tapping the screen either

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
well the A71/72 front camera is 32MP, not 64, but i already have it on 32. Don't get me wrong a normal selfie of your face with arm distance looks fine. Thing is if i want to take a close shot of my face and make it look sharp like I did with my S9 its not possible, its blurry af.

Would fixed focus cause this? because its definitely not an auto focus cam and not much happens when tapping the screen either
That could be why if it's not auto focus cam

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think that's probably the issue. A selfie cam is often a fixed-focus camera, because most people will take pics with that camera at arm's length -- they're not expecting people to take macro-style shots with that camera.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I hate to say it, but perhaps that is more of an S line feature and maybe one of the compromises that Samsung made to lower the price. I do manage close ups with my S10+ but again I don't know how good it would be with the latest S21 series.

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
i would like to go with the auto focus suggestion as to why it doesnt work, i have the A71 and jus tried. nope. anything close to the face is a blur. i mean it would be nice for a clean close up pic but a mid range phone, so