04-07-2021 09:52 PM
36 12
tools
    I merged your similar threads -- this one had the following thread title before the merge: "does google drive automatically backup text messages?" (Please try to continue the discussion in the same thread you started, rather than starting a new thread.)

In answer to your question, Google's backup feature will back up your SMS messages, but not MMS: https://support.google.com/android/a...gets-backed-up
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-2021 02:24 AM
    oh okay gotcha sorry about that. so since i am wanting that deleted conversation thread to not be on the next phone, is it good that google backs up messages?
    04-05-2021 09:37 AM
    I'm not entirely sure if a deleted text message thread would remain in your backup, since the backups are updated on a regular basis, and therefore an updated backup done after the thread was deleted would most likely not include it.

If it did restore to the new phone, it should be a simple matter of deleting it again anyway, though, right?
    04-05-2021 11:57 AM
    yeah you’re right lol. is it a good thing that the message thread wouldn’t remain in the backup if i didn’t want that message thread to return? i’m more so asking this just to know since i want to learn more about this stuff!
    04-05-2021 08:46 PM
    I'm really not sure. Since the backups are updated on a regular basis, I'm assuming that if you delete a message thread, that will be reflected in the most current update.
    04-05-2021 09:46 PM
    yeah i thought so too. thanks for the help man!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-05-2021 11:38 PM
    I hope you're not on the device now that you want to recover texts on. Every action you do on it is potentially overwriting the deleted texts.
    04-06-2021 01:00 AM
    I hope you're not on the device now that you want to recover texts on. Every action you do on it is potentially overwriting the deleted texts.
    When you use the phone, you will write new data on it, the deleted messages will be overwritten. It won't show up again.
    Really? I don't think so.
    Yes, that is how databases work. Old space from deleted records eventually gets recycled into new data. Just like the file system eventually recycles deleted file space into new files.

However, when setting up a new phone, your carrier may download some old text messages to your phone that you had previously deleted from your phone, depending on the carrier.
    Depending on the type of storage, it will get full, and you would need to delete files to make space. In this thread, the op is not dealing with a memory overwrite situation.
    This op has nothing to do with overwriting data.
    Even if you use your available memory, only that which has been coded to overwrite will do so. The code may eliminate oldest files first, like my cars dashcam, or loop recordings not be allowed in the user settings.
    This results in a Memory Full error. As with any other physical storage.
    04-06-2021 02:02 AM
    i am on this device but i stated before i didn’t want that message thread to show up on my next device.
    04-06-2021 02:00 PM
    i am on this device but i stated before i didn’t want that message thread to show up on my next device.
    I'm pretty sure your going be fine .
    04-06-2021 05:42 PM
    Depending on your carrier, they may be retrieved. Sorry to disagree. I've had tmobile repopulate my new phone with deleted threads within their window when swapping.
    Attached is something I found quickly with a Google search describing Verizons retrieval ability. See the whole article for more info. Good luck. Attachment 333164

hey this is a bit late to respond but since that whole verizon thing says 5 days (it’s been more than 5 days since deletion) i’ll be good in that sense ? i’m not really concerned about it anymore after getting assistance i’m really just curious.
    04-07-2021 09:52 PM
36 12