Hiccups / stutters in audio

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.:-\ Let me see if any of the other Ambassadors are familiar with FLAC.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's reasonable to try a different format as a test. If it only happens with FLAC, that would increase suspicion that there's a glitch in the codec or the firmware.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Well, if it doesn't happen with .wav, then it's both flac and ogg that have problems.
If I do wav and it has no issues, then I should probably try mp3 next. But if I do that, I would use 320K, and nothing less.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Update: The same thing occurs when I play a .wav file.
I played a 60 minute .wav file on the phone through bluetooth. The hiccups occurred at 0:24 and 0:44. Nearly the exact time they occurred with the .flac and .ogg file.
I realize this indicates a defect with the file, but that is not the case, as I can play the same file on my PC with no issues.

The next thing I will try is playing the file(s) while the phone is in airplane mode.
I am also going to try it on my old Fiesta II phone - if only to confirm that the problem did exist on that phone as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's another possible approach -- maybe it has to do with the program that's ripping the tracks. Can you try using a different program to rip a track, and see if the same thing happens?

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Yes. Thanks for the suggestion!
I could do that. I don't seem to have the meditation (Holosync) CD's anymore, but I do still have all of my music CD's; both Rock and Classical.
I could use something other than EAC. Maybe even do it on my Ubuntu 20.04 box.
Rip to .wav first? Listen to it, then try converting to flac?
definitely worth a try.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm so out of touch with Windows -- can you still use Windows Media Player to rip a CD into FLAC? If so, that's what I would try first.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Windows 10 does not include Media Player, but I think it can be downloaded (free) from the MS store.
I have used VLC for a while, but mainly for watching movies on DVD. That was before my current build (about a year ago) which does not include an optical drive. I have a stand-alone DVD/Blu-Ray player and have Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.
For ripping in Windows, I use mainly EAC, but have used MusicBee and iTunes.

I have some new info on the hiccup issue:

I ripped two 30 minute tracks from a CD into .wav files in Windows using iTunes.
I ripped at 44.1Khz 16 bits 2 channels (stereo).
Then I uploaded the two files to my phone and played them using the default player (not PowerAmp).
During the first track, I had no hiccups.
On the second track, I had no hiccups, but towards the very end of the track the audio started getting weird. It sounded like a rapid pulsing, or beat.
I think this was caused by a problem with the sample rate of 44.1KHz vs the playback rate, which is probably a variable rate.
So I will try re-ripping using the default settings (auto sample rate) and see what happens.
It would be interesting if the hiccups return when I use the default sample rate, but I'm only speculating at this point.

Oh, and I made one other change when I listened this time: I used the wired headphones.
So I need to stick to making only one change at a time, or I'm going to lose track of this whole experiment.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Update:
It could be the Bluetooth after all.
Last night I listened to a 30 min track in .wav format using wired headphones. No hiccups.
This afternoon I listened to the same track but used Bluetooth headphones. Hiccup at 20-22 minutes in.
Need to check all three BT headphones/buds I own and see if this happens with all of them.

Edit: I just read that the hiccups on BT can be caused by other BT devices nearby. This is certainly my situation. While only my three BT devices have ever been paired to my phone, there are other devices that could be paired.
I don't know what, if anything I can do about this.

Last edited:

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
That was the case before I started using BT headphones/buds.
What I'm thinking now is that the hiccups are caused by multiple triggers. This is what is making troubleshooting so difficult.
i will try different BT headphones over the next few days, and wired headphones as well.
Funny thing is that this morning while out walking the dog, wearing BT earbuds with WiFi turned on and DND turned off, there were no hiccups for the entire walk - about 30 minutes.

Thing is, I have three pair of BT headphone/buds. At home I use the Bose QC 35 II. Outside I use either the JBL/UA Train Wireless Sport headphones or the Jabra Elite Active 75t.
I will switch them around a bit, to get an idea of whether the problem is BT itself, or one device.
I can also use the Bose or JBL wired.

What threw me off the other day was that I changed two parameters at the same time. I ripped to .wav, and I changed to wired headphones.
I need to keep my changes to one parameter at a time if I am ever going to solve this issue.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
I paired the Bose QC35 II with my PC (Windows 10, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi, Ryzen 7) and there were no hiccups during a 1+ hour listening.
But when I re-paired to my phone, the hiccups returned almost immediately.

I have also discovered that, while the Bose support AAC, I can only get the Moto G7 Android 10 phone to stream SBC.
That said, I read somewhere else that Android has trouble with AAC, and sometimes reverting to SBC can solve the problem of hiccups / stutters. But apparently on my device, the hiccups are occurring with SBC.

I have pretty much reached the end of my rope. I will try chatting with Bose about this, and if the problem cannot be solved I will return the Bose to Amazon. I still have that option, and I'm not going to put up with this on a pair of $250 headphones when the JBL I paid only about $70 for don't have the issue. Yes, the Bose do have a better sound and are more comfortable, but I'm sure I can find something else that will satisfy me - without the hiccups - for the price I paid for the Bose.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
I think I am getting closer to knowing the cause - or, at least what is not the cause.
I played the same file as I did on my phone yesterday (where I heard the hiccup) on my PC, listening through the Bose.
No hiccups from the PC.
I also played the same file from an old phone - LG Fiesta II running Android 7. There was the same hiccup with the Bose on that phone as on the Moto 7, but no hiccup with the JBL on either phone.

From what I know (using the developer options on the Moto phone) the Bose (and the JBL) are using SBC codec rather than AAC. I am unable to get AAC to work on the Moto 7, and I don't know what Windows is using, although I suspect SBC.

So, there appears to be an issue between the Bose QC35 II and Android 7 or 10.
I am waiting on the Bose community forum for a reply to my query. If the problem cannot be resolved, I am returning the Bose to Amazon and will buy a good pair of WIRED cans.
This whole Bluetooth adventure is getting old on me. It is very convenient being free of the tangled cord, but I prefer uninterrupted good quality audio to that convenience.
I can connect the Bose as wired headphones, but then I am wasting my money, as I shouldn't have to pay $250 for a good pair of wired headphones.
Whatever the outcome, at least I have Amazon's great return policy on my side.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Well, so much for that...
I have not received any support from Bose; I have tried 2x to post on their community forum, but both times my posts have been tagged as spam. I cannot figure out why.
I tried phoning Bose, but their message states extended wait times; I don't have the patience for that.
So I have initiated a return of the Bose QC35 II to Amazon. I will complete that return on Monday 5/17 unless Bose responds and my problem has been solved.
I did not spend $250 for a pair of wireless headphones that will not work properly with my Android 10 phone.

Once I receive the refund for the product, I will purchase a pair of WIRED headphones - and they will not be Bose.
I think i have had about enough of this Bluetooth junk. It appears not to be a mature technology, or one that manufacturers do not care to fully support - at least not for Android.

Perhaps someone else offers a product that works well with Android, but unless I can find such a product - and it doesn't cost more than the $250 I paid for the Bose QC35 II, I will just go with wired cans.

Sorry for the rant, but I have to let off steam, and I want to warn others that maybe they should reconsider if they were thinking of buying a pair of Bose Bluetooth headphones for use with their Android device.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
I really wish I could resolve this issue. I do like the Bose QC35 II. They are very comfortable, have great sound, and the ANC is really good.
Perhaps on Monday I will get on the phone again and wait through the queue. I do have plenty of minutes on my Tracfone account.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Last night when I decided to initiate a return of the product to Amazon I was really frustrated. But this morning, I am thinking a bit more rationally, and have decided to give the QC35 II another chance. I will continue to run tests over the weekend, and by Monday should be able to decide for sure whether or not I will keep the product or return it. I have until June 02 to return them to Amazon.

One thing came to mind is the standby timer. It was by default set to Never. Then I set it to 20 minutes. But the hiccups were occurring before I changed the timer. Still, I will try a longer setting.
Another thing I thought of was to uninstall the Bose Connect app. I wouldn't expect that to change anything, since the hiccups still occurred while listening on my older phone, which does not have the app installed.

I just need to maintain a scientific attitude towards this problem, and not allow my emotions to get involved. This happens all too often when I have exhausted all possibilities and become frustrated.

All in all, I like these headphones. They are ultra-comfortable, and the sound is excellent. The ANC is great too.
So I guess they deserve my best effort to get to the bottom of this problem.

ultrarunner2020

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Update 2021-05-18
I returned the QC35 II to Amazon yesterday.
I think I gave them more than a fair chance to satisfy my needs, but they failed.
I have gone back to the JBL/UA on-ear and Jabra Elite Active 75t IEM's.
Honestly, the Bose QC35 II did not sound so much better than either of the other two - much less expensive, that I would consider the price worth the performance.