I'm switching from a Galaxy S9+ to a Pixel 4a soon and have a couple questions...

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So when I get my new Pixel 4a phone (with sim card activated of course) is it just simply logging into my Google account and all my contacts will be there automatically ?

At what point do I factory reset on my old phone, only after my new phone is set up ? Also should I remove the sim card from the old phone before sending ? Should I remove the sim card before doing the factory reset ?

Thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm switching from a G9+ to a Pixel 4a soon and have a couple questions...

As long as all of your contacts on your current phone are saved to your Google account (and not the local Phone account), those contacts should sync immediately the first time you log into the new phone with the same Google account.

You are talking about a Moto G9 Plus, and not a Samsung Galaxy S9+, right?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh I forgot to ask you guys are all the spam phone numbers I've blocked over the years will those numbers still be blocked on my new phone ? I was using the stock phone app that came with my Galaxey 9+ by the way.

Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh I forgot to ask you guys are all the spam phone numbers I've blocked over the years will those numbers still be blocked on my new phone ? I was using the stock phone app that came with my Galaxey 9+ by the way.

Thanks
Thats a good question im not sure if they transfer over , it might.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

Even if those don't carry over, the Pixel's Phone app does a great job identifying spam callers before the phone even rings: https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/3459196?hl=en. Just make sure to turn it all on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely remove the SIM card before sending the phone in. They have no need for it, and you can still use it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can discard it, then. Although it would presumably be deactivated once you activate the new SIM card, there still might be some sensitive data on it.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Remember when I was asking about:

"Oh I forgot to ask you guys are all the spam phone numbers I've blocked over the years will those numbers still be blocked on my new phone ? I was using the stock phone app that came with my Galaxey 9+ by the way"

I just did a reset on the Galaxy 9+ and it didn't save any of the blocked numbers piece of crap. So this means when I switch to my new phone they won't be there either. Somehow I think Samsung is to blame.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
By the way I did a reset on the Galaxy 9+ and it didn't save any of the blocked numbers piece of crap. So this means when I switch to my new phone they won't be there either. I blame Samsung on this.
Did you block in phone settings or with one of those apps they supply or carrier?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I used the stock app that came with the phone from spectrum. Before I did the reset I could see all the numbers I blocked over the last 2 years. I guess google backup service don't include blocked numbers. I'm hoping going to a all google phone it will be different.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I know in the Samsung app settings under block calls they get transferred but if wasnt done this way not sure the other way if they do with apps Screenshot_20210901-223105_Call%20settings.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance