My phone shows internal storage as Storage card and transferring apps to my sd card doesn't work

jacentra

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
Using an admittedly old app, DiskUsage, it shows internal storage as "Storage Card" and my SD Card as "/storage/24BA-#####" (Not giving the last 4 digits in case it's sensitive information). This isn't really a big issue in and of itself, it's just kinda weird...

But the actual issue is this:

When I transfer an app to my SD Card (Enabled the ability to do so in developer mode), it lets me do it - it lets me choose between Internal and SD Card. But when I choose SD Card, it "Transfers" it with a progress bar and then closes. When I open the app info again it now says it's on external storage.

But when I check DiskUsage again, or put my SD Card into my PC - that app is nowhere to be found. When I check internal storage (Which, again, for some reason is called "Storage Card") - it's still there.

How can I get apps to actually transfer to my SD Card? Apps like the camera or PocketCasts let me use the SD Card. I can read from it just fine (Music, pictures, videos, etc.), podcasts play from it properly, everything works on it just fine... But apps don't actually transfer to it even though Android claims they're on the SD Card.

This is something I need to be able to do - Spotify has a bug that's been around for years where it will automatically redownload all your songs to internal memory on reboot if they were on the sd card, and delete them off the SD Card. I've pretty much just given up and let it keep my music on internal storage - but that's taking up a lot of space.

My phone: Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5g
Android version: 11
Kernel version: 4.19.113
Android security patch level: September 1, 2021

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Transferring apps to the SD card is highly discouraged.
Google has been removing the feature over the years.
It is long gone in Android 11.

Edit -- oops, I misread the post.

Many modern apps let you pick when storage is used for their data. If spotify does not have this feature in its settings, you are probably out of luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Be aware that moving an app to the SD card typically doesn't move the entire app -- only a portion of it. And putting the SD card into a PC won't necessarily show the app files -- it will probably just show some data files for the app, and likely in a coded filename.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20