[MEGATHREAD] Power button on phone is overheating and extremely hot to the touch

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
power button really hot?

What would cause this? My battery life has been horrible today and now i notice my power button is real hot to the touch

Posted via the Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: power button really hot?

The Snapdragon 808 and Adreno GPU are located literally just under the rear button and camera hump, sealed off by metal plates. If the CPU heats up, chances are the power button will too.

Fortunately it isn't a problem though if it gets extremely hot to the point where you can't use it or if it kills the fingerprint sensor somehow with the heat, then it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Posted via an LG V10

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Bad cellular signal is the most common overheating for me. Other than that, rouge app? Look at your battery usage. Post it too.

Hmm ok that makes sense. When i noticed it i was on my back patio and had a real poor wifi signal

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

What would cause this? My battery life has been horrible today and now i notice my power button is real hot to the touch

I had that issue too. I ended up doing a factory reset and setting it up as a new device (without restoring from backup). I know it's a pain to do that but now my phone is like a brand new device. Great battery life and doesn't heat up even here at work on the very edge of a signal where it's always searching.It's really nice to get a full work day out of a battery for a change. Might be worth a try for you.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

The only time my phone gets hot there is with the GPS running for 25-30 minutes, screen brightness cranked to 100 on a warm-ish day in a warm car. Phone temperature is around 96-97 F in that usage scenario.

It never gets even close to that kind of temp, just sitting idle.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

I had that issue too. I ended up doing a factory reset and setting it up as a new device (without restoring from backup). I know it's a pain to do that but now my phone is like a brand new device. Great battery life and doesn't heat up even here at work on the very edge of a signal where it's always searching.It's really nice to get a full work day out of a battery for a change. Might be worth a try for you.

But if you set it up as a new device and dont restore aren't you losing your pics and apps?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

But if you set it up as a new device and dont restore aren't you losing your pics and apps?

My pics are backed up on several cloud services and I just re-dowloaded all the apps myself. That was the part that was a pain. Took awhile to download them all but it was worth it to fix the issues on my phone. Phone is awesome now!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
re: why is my power button is hot?

Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is my power button is hot?

If it's just the power button, the power switch (the thing the button presses) might have a short on the motherboard. (That will destroy your battery quickly.)

A

Android Central Question

Galaxy S6 hot power button when off

Hi, I have a Galaxy S6 that I replaced the battery in and I have a strange problem. As soon as I installed the new battery I began to feel a little heat from the processor. This started when the phone was still disassembled and the phone was off. I proceeded to reassembly the phone and began charging it. After a short time the power button was so hot that I could barely hold it long enough to turn the phone on. The phone did boot up but was slow and acting weird. My real question is how can the processor heat up when the phone is off? Thank you for any advice, the only thing I can think of is clearing the cache and see if that has any effect.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

lukbecabb3

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
The power button on my phone is extremely hot to the touch. The phone itself is not and the battery doesn't seem to be draining quickly. The phone usually doesn't lose much battery life overnight so it wasn't charging last night but this morning the battery was almost dead. I plugged it in for a short time and it charged to 33% and then I plugged it in again to charge at work but it never got to a full charge. I noticed tonight the power button was extremely hot. It cools down quickly when I do power off the phone but as soon as I turn the phone back on the power button gets too hot to touch like normal. What could be causing this? The phone is a Moto G7Power 2021 and I've only had it about a month and it has not been dropped or anything like that. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie