[MEGATHREAD] Power button on phone is overheating and extremely hot to the touch

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
power button really hot?

What would cause this? My battery life has been horrible today and now i notice my power button is real hot to the touch

Posted via the Android Central App

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: on phone is overheating and extremely hot to the touch

yes my power button is currently to hot to contact with any skin I have a samsung A32 5G. just started this today but phone has been closing apps due to being to warm . y7all battery access is restricted
Hi welcome to AC!
Put the device in safe mode see if still happening

Shrek022

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
Power button/Side Key is EXTREMELY hot when device is on

I have a 1.5 month old Samsung M53, as soon as I power it on the side key gets insanely hot, to the point where I’ll get a blister if I leave my finger on there for too long. Then as soon as I turn it off, it cools down almost instantly. Any idea what might be wrong or what I could do to fix it?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Power button/Side Key is EXTREMELY hot when device is on

Welcome to AC!
Safe mode will turn 3rd party apps off to see if anything to do with that so if it still continues then return the device.

Shrek022

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site

Thanks! Happy to be here! Unfortunately the problem seems to persist, I’ll factory reset it and try that out before attempting to return it. Thanks again for the help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thanks! Happy to be here! Unfortunately the problem seems to persist, I’ll factory reset it and try that out before attempting to return it. Thanks again for the help!
Ok , Your welcome!
Feel free to browse The Forums we have great community here .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Is the back of the phone getting hot as well, or just the Power button? I've seen this issue mentioned for a number of phones. My guess is that the button (which is metal) is conducting excessive heat from a nearby component (like the battery or the motherboard). It could be a manufacturing defect. I agree with mustang7757, contact Samsung for warranty repair/replacement if it persists.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Is the back of the phone getting hot as well, or just the Power button? I've seen this issue mentioned for a number of phones. My guess is that the button (which is metal) is conducting excessive heat from a nearby component (like the battery or the motherboard). It could be a manufacturing defect. I agree with mustang7757, contact Samsung for warranty repair/replacement if it persists.

This occurs on phones with side (power button) mounted fingerprint readers. I suspect this is when a component shorts out in the fingerprint sensor part, which could be caused by liquid or other particles getting inside . The power button itself will still work as it runs on a different circuit than the fingerprint sensor. Coincidentally, I have such a device at the shop for repair at the moment.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

This occurs on phones with side (power button) mounted fingerprint readers. I suspect this is when a component shorts out in the fingerprint sensor part, which could be caused by liquid or other particles getting inside . The power button itself will still work as it runs on a different circuit than the fingerprint sensor. Coincidentally, I have such a device at the shop for repair at the moment.
Interesting my fold3 and flip 4 have side Mount fingerprint sensors and haven't experienced this

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ah, interesting! More reason to prefer a rear-mounted or underscreen sensor.

Naomi Savage

Sep 24, 2022
Visit site
Why is my power button on my Celero 5G phone getting extremely hot after I power it on?

I only had this phone for about 2 weeks and today the power button was extremely hot. I already powered it off and I already tried safe mode. I really don't know what else to do. Please help

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why is my power button on my Celero 5G phone getting extremely hot after I power it on?

I only had this phone for about 2 weeks and today the power button was extremely hot. I already powered it off and I already tried safe mode. I really don't know what else to do. Please help

That's some type of hardware overheating in your phone... be careful that could be dangerous :eek: Personally I would exchange it for another one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of the cause, it's pretty clearly some kind of defect or malfunction. If it's getting really hot to the point of being painful, then it's a potential health/fire hazard. Contact the manufacturer if the phone is still under warranty; otherwise, bring it to a repair shop.

VTD1

Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
The power button on my phone is extremely hot to the touch. The phone itself is not and the battery doesn't seem to be draining quickly. The phone usually doesn't lose much battery life overnight so it wasn't charging last night but this morning the battery was almost dead. I plugged it in for a short time and it charged to 33% and then I plugged it in again to charge at work but it never got to a full charge. I noticed tonight the power button was extremely hot. It cools down quickly when I do power off the phone but as soon as I turn the phone back on the power button gets too hot to touch like normal. What could be causing this? The phone is a Moto G7Power 2021 and I've only had it about a month and it has not been dropped or anything like that. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem and got it fixed two days ago. Apparently the finger print sensor on my phone which is connected to the power button had become faulty. Either had to replace it or disconnect it. I opted for the latter since I was not using it. If the design is similar to yours, you could try that. It might work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish