I have a Captivate and would like to remove some of the AT&T bloat and I am rooted, but am on stock 2.2 with no custom recovery. I know the commands for it,
    cd system/app
    ls
    rm Name.apk

However,
    Do you have to be in recovery to do this and stuff or can I just hop into USB debugging and type that in and remove some of the system apps? I just don't want to mess up my device.
    07-15-2011 11:23 PM
    I have a Captivate and would like to remove some of the AT&T bloat and I am rooted, but am on stock 2.2 with no custom recovery. I know the commands for it,
    cd system/app
    ls
    rm Name.apk

However,
    Do you have to be in recovery to do this and stuff or can I just hop into USB debugging and type that in and remove some of the system apps? I just don't want to mess up my device.
    Why don't u just use root explorer
    07-15-2011 11:59 PM
    Why don't u just use root explorer
    Because it costs $6 hahahaha
    07-16-2011 07:31 AM
    The phone does not need to be in recovery. You have the commands right, just make sure to reboot when you are done.

adb shell
    cd system/app
    ls
    rm nameofapp.apk
    reboot
    07-16-2011 09:48 AM
    Anybody got anything?
    07-16-2011 09:49 AM
    The phone does not need to be in recovery. You have the commands right, just make sure to reboot when you are done.

adb shell
    cd system/app
    ls
    rm nameofapp.apk
    reboot
    WOOT! Thanks so much... And do you have to be rooted or anything?
    07-16-2011 09:54 AM
    WOOT! Thanks so much... And do you have to be rooted or anything?
    Yes, you must be rooted in order to remove apps.
    07-16-2011 10:23 AM
    Yes, you must be rooted in order to remove apps.
    Thanks, but are you sure that you don't need root because you are not using an su command anywhere and since it's through ADB you may not need root access, however my phone is rooted, but this is in case I need to do this on a friends phone that is not rooted.
    07-16-2011 10:55 AM
    Thanks, but are you sure that you don't need root because you are not using an su command anywhere and since it's through ADB you may not need root access, however my phone is rooted, but this is in case I need to do this on a friends phone that is not rooted.
    You need to be rooted periord.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    07-16-2011 10:59 AM
    When you enter the command

adb shell

You are gaining su permissions. From terminal emulator you use su to gain access. On the computer through the sdk its adb shell.

Are you rooted? sorry about that, jumped over that part of your response.

yodatom10, show some more patience and help a little.
    07-16-2011 02:00 PM
    When you enter the command

adb shell

You are gaining su permissions. From terminal emulator you use su to gain access. On the computer through the sdk its adb shell.

Are you rooted? sorry about that, jumped over that part of your response.

yodatom10, show some more patience and help a little.
    Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot you have been a great help. I'm still trying to learn haha.
    07-16-2011 04:18 PM
    I think this thread is kinda old, but its been helping me so far. My phone is rooted and everything, but I can't remove the system app because it is a read-only file. How do I remove that?
    03-18-2013 12:44 AM
    You can use my app, which is free:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lb.app_manager
    Just remember that you might need to restart the device, and on some cases the uninstallation might fail.
    04-29-2014 04:14 PM
    To gain SU access in adb

adb shell
    su

When superuser the entry line text will read "root@" and end with # instead of reading "shell@" and ending with $.
    09-13-2016 02:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD