Error copying files from PC to S10e using USB cable

FeriM

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
I have a weird issue when trying to copy multiple files from pc to phone, using an USB cable. In about 95% of cases, the copy process gets stuck at a random file... ("Copying..." and the file name is displayed meanwhile). After some time I get an error message "Cannot copy file <file name> . The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying? / Skip this file / Cancel" . The file is always a different one.
The more files I try to copy, bigger the chances to fail. If I choose Skip, the copy continues but chances are it will get stuck at another file and so on.
Files are pictures, movies mp3s, it doesnt't seem to matter.
For the moment, the workaround is to repeat the copy process until the number of files in destination matches the source...
I can copy just fine anything (lots and lots of GB) from phone to PC, using the same USB cable, without adjusting it, before and after the failed copy from pc to phone.

Phone is Samsung S10e up to date
PC is a Windows 7 x64, all 4 USB ports behave the same.
USB cable looks fine as far as I can tell

I wonder if someone experienced something similar or has some idea on what to check.

Update:
Changed cable, no difference.
Tried on another win7, same behaviour (error copying to phone, on random files).
Tried on win 10, copy from phone fine, copy to phone does not show error, yet randomly some files are not copied to phone (?!).
I used windows explorer to copy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do the filenames have any unusual characters?

Are you copying huge amounts of data at a time? USB data transfer can be glitchy with large amounts. Try copying files in smaller batches.

FeriM

Jan 9, 2022
Visit site
My post states that most of the time when I try to copy multiple files from computer to phone, some random files fail to copy. Win 7 shows an error for each failed file, Win 10 shows no error, but it does not copy some of them either (?!). The post also says that by repeating the copy operation with the same source and destination, all files get copied eventually (most in the first pass, some in the second pass and so on). So there is nothing wrong with the randomly failed files, otherwise the invalid files would never get copied, right?

The copy sometimes succeeds, sometimes fails for many (500) or for fewer files (10), 1GB or 10MB.
Copying from phone to computer always works fine, for 1,5 or 50 GB.
I am aware there are many ways to transfer files, let's not get into that. Healthy hardware and software should not show errors and work as expected, so I am interested in technical info on the cause of the issue and hopefully, potential fixes.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're right, the seemingly random file transfer failures would exclude any problems with special characters.

I wasn't suggesting any other ways to transfer files, but rather doing it in smaller batches, if you were in fact trying to transfer huge amounts of data at one time. But you're not, so that also clearly won't help. I agree that file transfer should work smoothly, but I was just pointing out something that I've observed (and other people have posted about as well), so there are clearly some aspects of USB data transfer that haven't worked perfectly for quite some time.

Hopefully someone will have another suggestion for you. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC