Looking for phone recommendations

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and apparently my Nokia 7.1 isn't acceptable anymore so I need to find an "approved" phone. The specs and size are similar to the Pixel 4a, which I'm considering. I'm looking for more phone suggestions along those lines. I like smaller phones as I have short fat fingers, and I like stock android.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and apparently my Nokia 7.1 isn't acceptable anymore so I need to find an "approved" phone. The specs and size are similar to the Pixel 4a, which I'm considering. I'm looking for more phone suggestions along those lines. I like smaller phones as I have short fat fingers, and I like stock android.

I would suggest the Pixel 5a based on price and 5G capabilities. AT&T is shutting down 3G and 4G LTE network coverage may simply be inadequate.

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the advice. Keep it coming!!

I hadn't thought of 4g being a problem. I see a fair amount of 4G phones still being sold by AT&T. I'll put the 4a 5G and 5a 5G on my list. I was also looking at some smaller Motorolas but it's so confusing to compare them.

I want to stay away from Samsung as I hate them over my last (only) phone. Horrible performance, LOADED with their junk apps that I can't remove... etc.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Here's a side sample between the 5A and the Nokia I also threw in the Pixel 5 because that's a small phone with a great form factor in hand and if you find a good price on one of those that might be also an option if you don't care about the 5G..

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...el-5a,Google-Pixel-5/phones/11015,11631,11394
e7d58ed64331b02dc3f64d6016d50c0c.jpg

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Here's the low down on the 2G and 3G shutdown: https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-m...-2g-3g-4g-lte-network-shut-down-date_id134159
Sprint 4G is will be going away but not for the other carriers. I wouldn't be too concerned about 4G disappearing anytime soon.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
In regards to the Pixel 4a. When my wife and I were looking to switch from our Blackberrys we went with the Pixel 4a. It is a great phone. A year later I decided to go with the Pixel 6 Pro, but she wanted to stay with her 4a. I still use my 4a as a backup. I'm glad I did because I needed it several times after I got my P6P.
The 4a is a bargain at the price.

Last edited:

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
The more I look, the more I like the Pixels. 4a, 4a 5G, 5, all fine for me. I'm not a demanding user at all. Although the lack of headphone jack on the 5 is tough for me. I don't think I want an XL due to the size.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The lack of headphone jack is primarily a pain if you want to use wired earphones and charge the phone at the same time. The 3.5 mm to USB-C dongle that the phones come with is very flexible and innocuous, so if you just keep that connected to your favorite pair of earphones, it just feels like part of the cable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 3 line has reached end of life, so I wouldn't recommend it as your daily driver for very long. The 3a line is quite good (I have a 3a XL), but the end of life for that one is coming up this May. I'd go for at least a 4a.

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I thought I'd update that I picked up a Pixel 4a 5g used from a very nice woman on FB. I don't know if I could be happier. It's almost identical in size to my Nokia. It works flawlessly and WAY better. Signal strength is fantastic. The battery is at 25% after 42 hours. Android 12 is taking some time to get used to.

As a note, I think some signal problems on my Nokia were because of AT&T having an IMEI from 2 phones ago. The pixel wouldn't connect until support cleaned up the account and put the Pixel IMEI in the system.

I did the USB to USB transfer and it came out OK but I hear the "restore backup" works better in terms of settings, etc.

The Pixel 3 line has reached end of life, so I wouldn't recommend it as your daily driver for very long. The 3a line is quite good (I have a 3a XL), but the end of life for that one is coming up this May. I'd go for at least a 4a.

Hi Diddy, what does EOL do to me? As long as the phone is Android 9 or 10 it should be OK for some years? Is there still some kind of warranty on phones that aren't EOL? Hell, if there were any app support I'd still be on my Lumia 950!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on the new phone! The "a" line is definitely a great value, and for most people should be just as satisfying as the flagship Pixels. And somehow, Google optimizes the battery in the "a" line much better than the flagships!

End of life means that the phone no longer gets any system updates. The 4a 5G's EOL is Nov 2023, so you have a while to go. It should at least get Android 13, presumably near the end of this year (not sure about 14 next year). Don't worry, even after your phone hits EOL, it'll still be reasonably safe to use for at least another couple of years (but as the years go on without any security updates, the potential risk for vulnerabilities steadily goes up).

Warranty is only for a year with any brand new phone (in the US -- it might be 2 years in the EU). But I think manufacturer's warranty isn't transferable (since you bought the phone from a private seller). You'd have to purchase 3rd party insurance if you want that kind of protection -- SquareTrade is probably the best known company for this: https://www.squaretrade.com/smartphone-warranty