S20 Ultra opening random web browsers to spam pages

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Over the last few weeks my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra running V12 has been opening random web browser pages to spam sites.

I believe its and app and not the browser as it's not just Chrome, it also tries to open my Samsung browser as well.

I'm assuming its an app but I can't figure out which one.

Al the information I can find out that is from years ago and they said you could sort your apps by "last used" I can't seem to sort my apps in Play by "last used" anymore

I have:
- cleared the cache and browser data as well as uninstalled Chrome updates
-I have changed the permissions in Chrome so my phone is not syncing with my laptop
-I have tried to figure out which apps were last used but can't
- I have gone in to my apps and deleted most of the ones that were updated within a week of the issue starting
-I have looked for apps with no name but I don't have any
-I haven't loaded any APK apps or file
-I have always used Bitdefender but after running a scan and not finding anything, I loaded and scanned with AVG and Maleware Bytes (they have not found anything)
-Bitdefender has flagged a website as unsafe but it wont let me really do anything about it
-I have reset all my app permissions back to factory.
-I've tried to go through the reviews in the Play store to see if there are any comments in the reviews about the app creating this issue

I feel like I have tried more things but I can't think of them

I'm at my end with this so I hope someone smarter than me can help out.

I appreciate any help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this only happen when you're actively using the browser, or does it happen even when you're using other apps (or just on the homescreen)?

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this only happen when you're actively using the browser, or does it happen even when you're using other apps (or just on the homescreen)?

the browser doesn't have to be open.

I can't really say there is a lot of reason to it but sometimes its just sitting on the table and it will open a web browser and sometimes I'm using it and opening up an app or a new browser page and a spam page will open.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You could try a couple of things next time you get the same issue. In the meantime enable the Developer Options tapping 7-10 times the Build number in Settings - About phone - Software information.

- As soon as you get that spam page take a screenshot and posted here without any edit.

- Go to Settings - Developer Options and take screenshots of Memory and Running Services screens.

There's a big chance we can get more information from those screenshots.

Screenshot_20220615-204705_Settings.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Download Nice Catch from Samsung Galaxy store and let it collect data for a day then look at toast source and settings changed menu in Nice Catch

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You could try a couple of things next time you get the same issue. In the meantime enable the Developer Options tapping 7-10 times the Build number in Settings - About phone - Software information.

- As soon as you get that spam page take a screenshot and posted here without any edit.

- Go to Settings - Developer Options and take screenshots of Memory and Running Services screens.

There's a big chance we can get more information from those screenshots.

View attachment 345740

Thanks Javier,

give me a couple of days to implement your suggestions, I'm a bit busy at work and I'm not pretty proficient at this stuff but not a techy so i need to have a clear mind when i do it. Thanks and stay tuned!

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Hey ramsrule45 how familiar are you with connecting your device to your computer and running adb commands? Look at troubleshooting #0, troubleshooting #1, and #2 below

https://android.stackexchange.com/q...is-trying-to-open-spam-websites/178024#178024

There are also lots of other suggestions from people to try.

I like to think i'm not an ***** but i just looked at that and it may take some research on how to do those functions. I am going to try some of the other suggestions first and then come back to this if i the others don't fix it. I want to thank you for taking the time to give me these suggestions.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I like to think i'm not an ***** but i just looked at that and it may take some research on how to do those functions. I am going to try some of the other suggestions first and then come back to this if i the others don't fix it. I want to thank you for taking the time to give me these suggestions.

Of course, no problem. Also another suggestion. Download the app virus total from the play store. It might help you pinpoint the app. Most likely will have some false negatives as well so don't freak out lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-075335_VirusTotal_Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-075335_VirusTotal_Mobile.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220617-075342_VirusTotal_Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-075342_VirusTotal_Mobile.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
the browser doesn't have to be open.

I can't really say there is a lot of reason to it but sometimes its just sitting on the table and it will open a web browser and sometimes I'm using it and opening up an app or a new browser page and a spam page will open.

Honestly the simplest way to get rid of, and avoid, these kinds of issues is to avoid installing any apps you don't %100 have to have on your device. I know for a lot of folks installing apps on their phone is half the fun, but scammers know this and target apps. There is always a good amount of sketchy apps on the Play Store because sketchy developers are putting them on as fast as Google can remove them... and yes, they have multiple ways to get around Google's security.

You have to weigh the fun of installing apps vs the need and risk. It's the same thing with visiting web sites and clicking on links.

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Of course, no problem. Also another suggestion. Download the app virus total from the play store. It might help you pinpoint the app. Most likely will have some false negatives as well so don't freak out lol

Thanks Mr Bojangles. Tried this an it didn't really work. On to the next suggestion!