Looking for app to monitor detailed data use

skrybe

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for an app similar to TrafficStats or My Data Manager but with more details.

The situation is this: I'm getting weird data usage on my bills (apparently used 10MB at 3am while fast asleep). Unfortunately I'm on a very low usage plan (200MB/month) and the carrier's usage website doesn't update till a day or two later... by which point I'm struggling to sort out what was using data when.

So, ideally I'd like something that can tell me which apps were using the data and at what time, plus which IP addresses they're communicating with.

Traffic Stats looks like it should do most of what I want, but I don't think the stats its showing are right.:-\

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any podcasts subscriptions? Something is downloading larger files if you are waking up to 10mb worth of data used.

I don't have any suggestions of apps that you are looking for. In the meantime, use apps that turn off data at specified hours or disable background data sync from the phone to stop data while you are asleep until you can find the problem.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Try 3g watchdog. I started using that and it shows amount used and percentage of your monthly usage, and you can change it to shut off 3g when you reach the limit. The full version, which costs money, will tell you exactly what apps used data. Hope that is a help.

skrybe

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately 3g Watchdog doesn't provide the info I need. While it logs usage by app it's not detailed enough (it doesn't tell me when the app used the data, or where it was connecting to). I'm basically trying to manually log usage at the moment so I can then compare it to my carrier's data log when they update it (normally 2-3 days later).

I thought of things like subscriptions, but basically I've got everything turned off (as far as I can tell). So whatever is using bandwidth is an unknown.

Thanks anyway. Hopefully one of the network loggers will add extra features in the future.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You might want to do a factory reset and slowly install apps to pinpoint the problem. You could be using an app that is updating in the background too often. Check sync frequency of apps that you have updating in the background.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Network TrafficStats Lite I just realized that you already used this application, sorry :(

Try that application and see if it is what you need. I came across it while searching Google for something that fit your needs. :)

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It could be that pre-installed apps are using up data, because I know that on my phone, stupid apps always run like Twidroyd, and Google maps, even though I shut them off. I don't even use Twitter but it still collects data. Try looking under what apps are running, maybe an app is running in the background using data, even though you don't think you are using it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084