Why is my internet so slow, even though the coverage map has me in a 4G/5G solid color area ?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So I have Mint Mobile now and they use T-mobile cell towers from what I can see from online search. So why is my internet so slow, it takes a 30 seconds to a full minute for a web pages to load and often times out. Is it because Mint Mobile is a mvno or because the area is rural ? But according to the coverage map it's suppose to be a good covered area. But when I get closer to work in the city it works fine. But both areas supposedly have good coverage, I'm baffled.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
In your network settings try changing your private dns to 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com or dns.google

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-163550_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-163550_Settings.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 13

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What download speeds do you measure (using a site like fast.com or speedtest.net)?

Good coverage doesn't necessarily mean high speeds. In addition, if there's a lot of congestion in your area, that can slow things down (especially if you're on an MVNO, which is typically deprioritized when traffic is high).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So I have Mint Mobile now and they use T-mobile cell towers from what I can see from online search. So why is my internet so slow, it takes a 30 seconds to a full minute for a web pages to load and often times out. Is it because Mint Mobile is a mvno or because the area is rural ? But according to the coverage map it's suppose to be a good covered area. But when I get closer to work in the city it works fine. But both areas supposedly have good coverage, I'm baffled.

Coverage maps lie unfortunately, kinda like politicians ;) Your best bet is talking to neighbors and friends about what works best for them in your area.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm half a block from a TMO tower (5 pars on phone) and both 5G phones I've owned could barely get 100mb download speeds and maybe 50 upload speeds.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
What download speeds do you measure (using a site like fast.com or speedtest.net)?

Good coverage doesn't necessarily mean high speeds. In addition, if there's a lot of congestion in your area, that can slow things down (especially if you're on an MVNO, which is typically deprioritized when traffic is high).

I didn't think of doing a speed test. I'm out of town for a couple of days and will retest when I get back.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I did a speed test and it was 9megs down and 0megs up and sometimes I get no signal at all. I guess it's safe to say I should try a different carrier. I think I'll try Pure Talk I've read they use Att cell towers.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE, I got PureTtalk which uses Att towers and my reception is better in the rural area I'm at. Speed test was better 65down/8up vs. 8down/0.01up, webpages load fast and videos start playing right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid