Anyone come up with a way to protect phones when using public WI-FI?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I've never used public wi-fi because of the dangers involved. I also have not over the past few years kept up with technology like I used to. So, please bear with me, thanks.

Is there now a way to protect our phones if we are using public wi-fi?

Thanks,
Deb

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Phones have always been protected, simply connecting to public Wi-Fi doesn't open your device up to other users.

Could you be more specific in what you're concerned about or what type of protection you're referring to?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The usual hazards, nothing specific other than someone being able to look/get into our phones. If there are multiple users all on the same public network I can't imagine that is safe

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
The usual hazards, nothing specific other than someone being able to look/get into our phones. If there are multiple users all on the same public network I can't imagine that is safe

Just don't do anything like banking or stuff involving sensitive information. They can intercept info being sent back and forth or manipulate it, but they can't easily get Into your phone and dig around. Using a VPN can help with that. A VPN is basically an encrypted tunnel that your information travels through.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Regarding using VPN's, only stick with well known companies with a good track record, and be prepared to pay for it. Don't fall into the trap of using a free one from a no name company because you are trying to be cheap. The reason they are free is because they often do the snooping themselves and don't really protect you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also like Samsung has check the Wi-Fi menu setting
61c6b60f08b0c015f4323cfd9ba781b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk