How to disable annoying hotspot popup on S22?

jesfl

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
Every single time I turn on the hotspot on my new S22, I face a half-screen popup message "Introduction for Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot." Bad enough that it blocks more than half the screen, it also forces you to tap "Accept" or the hotspot won't start. It is infuriating. I'm old, no techie, and this may be the death of me. I have searched here, the web in general, Reddit, etc. and can't find any useful action to disable it except Do Not Disturb. I've tried that, and even with EVERYTHING supposedly "Do Not Disturb," the ridiculous hotspot popup still opens and stops the hotspot from opening. 'Ya gotta' be kiddin'!!! Did Samsung really build this in? Or is it in Android 13? Surely other S22 owners are not dealing with this ridiculous popup? Is there anything I can do to disable it? If it is a Samsung thing that cannot be disabled, I'm sending the S22 back. Thanks for any/every idea. JESFL

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How exactly are you turning it on? I don't have an S22, but I've just tested with an S21 Ultra and a Flip 4 both by turning it on through the quick settings panel and the actual phone settings and I didn't get a popup... A screenshot might help.

Also where did you get your phone? If you got it from a network operator it is likely something installed by them.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Where did you get this S22 from? Is it a used device that is a carrier version that was unlocked?

I have an S22 Ultra from Samsung, and I have Android 13 but no popup for hotspot.

jesfl

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
Thanks so much to all for your replies. My apology for my belated response. In asking your questions, I believe you provided me most of the answers.

Some further research I completed and a faint memory of the first screen to which Chrome opened after I received the refurbished S22+ brought me to the conclusion the phone issues I am facing are because the phone has MVNO-modified software/firmware. I didn't know that was such a common practice, as I have learned. After reading your responses this morning, I finally dialed the number in the popup hotspot message and got U.S. Cellular (Chicago-based MVNO) It appears they installed their own version of software/firmware (?) which is the source of all my frustrations and issues.

In addition to the hotspot startup warning popup, many of the online YouTube "newbie" setup videos have left me wondering because quite a few settings being shown in those videos that simply do not exist in the S22+ phone I purchased. And, there are other oddities like the hotspot popup message that I could find no one else complaining about, the two button screenshot not working (wasted 45 minutes a little while ago trying to fix that, but no luck), etc. etc. Then phone has been fraught with frustrations and problems since I received it. (I'm moving up from an S9+, so I expected some issues, but not the popups, missing settings, etc.)

If there is a simple way for me to fix it -- i.e., somehow download a non-modified version of the Android 13 software (and firmware, I am guessing?) -- I might try that. Although trying it with my level of knowledge is likely highly risky. I'm old, 78, and tech stuff does not come easy to me these days,

If there is NO SIMPLE SOLUTION. I'm still within the return period after purchase and I am sending it back.

Then, if I return it, is there any way to know a different S22 I purchase will not have the same issues, or is it just a crap shoot about what 'ya get when buying refurbished?

And, again, thank you, thank you to all for your responses.

jesfl

P.S. I tried to attach a pix of the popup hotspot message taken with my S9+, since screenshot on the phone isn't working. Not sure if it is really attached? And, if the above MVNO software theory is likely the problem, it's now irrelevant anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is why it's usually better to get an unlocked variant directly from the manufacturer, rather than one sold through a carrier or MVNO. You might be able to flash a different firmware, but that can sometimes cause problems as well. @mustang7757 can probably comment more authoritatively on this than I can.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can flash from carrier firmware to unlock or vise versa but those MVNO are problematic on Samsung if you dont have a legit Verizon/Att/TMO sim you can run into these issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12