ROM Manager Premium - what is ROM Update ?

Pinch

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
ive just received my first ever Android phone ( ZTE Balde ) and in the process of learning as much as I can , I have noticed that on ROM Manager Premium there's an option to Check for ROM Updates , I don't want to use this option until I know exactly what is all about , can any one please tell me a little about this option and if its useful in any way , and if it is the best way to use the option ?

Thanks

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Either version is a tool for flashing custom ROMs. If you have no desire to do this and wish to play it safe, then you need not worry about the app.

Rom Manager Premium, checks for many available ROMs, whereas the free version only checks for a handful. There may be a couple more options in the paid version.

Personally, I and a lot of others, only use ROM Manager to update our recovery, and Flash ROMs the manual way. To each their own I guess.

Also, it's an easy way to do a ROM backup and management.

Also, you must be Rooted before attempting to flash any ROM.

Reactions: Pinch

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Some rom maintainers whose roms are listed in rom manager can enable rom update notifications. This means that if, for example, you run cyanogen 7.0 and then 7.1 is released, and you press on rom update, it'll tell you a new version of your rom is available and ask if you'd like to download it, and then after download rom manager will do the usual asking if you want to install, what to wipe, etc

Cyanogen actually takes it farther by integrating the rom manager update checks into a notification, so cm7+ checks on its own if there's updates. Other roms probably require you to manually press the check for updates button in rom manager.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
But in the end, if your phone is not rooted, there's really no reason to install Rom Manager. It's more for people who flash custom ROM's and Recoveries.

Pinch

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Guys for the replys, its appreciated

The phone came ready rooted and is this ..

Mod version CyanogenMod 7.0.0 Blade

Kennel 2.6.32.9

Android 2.3.3

Build GRI40

IMEI 355458041049561

and has ROM Manager Premium installed , for a newcomer like myself would there be any obvious
benefits in me using the update option to move on to a newer version of Cyanogen , or any other
benefits ?

Thanks

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Guys for the replys, its appreciated

The phone came ready rooted

and has ROM Manager Premium installed , for a newcomer like myself would there be any obvious
benefits in me using the update option to move on to a newer version of Cyanogen , or any other
benefits ?

Thanks

Not a problem. We love the easy questions.

As the other poster said, with Premium, you would get notified of updates I suspect. With the standard, you have to select the button. Also with premium, you get a lot more available ROMs to select from.

The question is, do you plan on doing custom ROMs more than what you have installed?

Keep in mind, you can always download the ROM manually, and boot to recovery and install it from there. ROM Manager, is supposed to make this easier, but in actuality, some folks have issues, and prefer to do it the old fashioned way.

I use it though, to flash my recovery , which it works well for.

If you have no immediate plans for tinkering with your ROM, I would say, save the few paltry dollars.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
+ 1 on what Moscow suggested. If you want to support a great developer and developer team, then I would suggest purchasing the paid version as a thank you for benefiting from ROM Manager and the features put into it :)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
+ 1 on what Moscow suggested. If you want to support a great developer and developer team, then I would suggest purchasing the paid version as a thank you for benefiting from ROM Manager and the features put into it :)

+1 ,,,Absolutely. I run several apps, that I paid for. And come'on now, they're usually only a paltry couple of bucks.

I know it's tempting to just use the free version, but if you like the app, use a debit card or pay pal, and give the credit due. I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Pinch

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ....

Sound advice from sound guys , The Blade has started to periodically freeze and not boot up when taken off charge also WiFi keeps disconnecting . So I was thinking of dipping my new Android toe
into the murky waters of changing the ROM ( may be Ginger Stir Fry ) , so I'm off now to try and find
some '' how to '' info , then have a few beers to calm me down and give it a go .

Again Thanks Guys , from a nervous Android Newbie :-\

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Good luck!!

As most here know, I do my best flashing under the influence of the barley beverage. The more, the better :p

Just, 1, make sure your ph is supported by the ROM you select
2, check their forums for known issues with your phone
3, follow instructions to the letter, don't be afraid to ask about something.

Also, check Cyanogen again, you should be using 7.0.3 stable. Sounds like you are running an early release candidate.

Also, check your radio version and make sure you don't need to update that as well.