Contacts- from WinMo to Android?

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I am a current WinMo user that will be switching to Android soon, probably for the Evo.

How can I get my contacts from WinMo to Android?

I have read that you can use a Google sync app or something like that. But I am wondering if that will also bring all the contact pictures, notes associated to each contact, and all the fields (mobile, work phone, fax, work address, home address, assistant phone number, another email address, catagory, etc).

What is the best way to bring over all the info? I have way too many contacts to recreate my whole address book.

I'm sure some of you had to have switched form WinMo and know a good way to do this.

I'm currently using WinMo 6.5, and I don't have Outlook installed on my home PC, if that makes a difference.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Google sync might be the easiest if you don't want to deal with transferring data via your PC. If you can get it into CSV format you can import into gmail though that definitely won't transfer your contact photos.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Sync and it took all of the fields (email, email 2, assistant, etc), and even the contact photo. The problem is it didn't sync the catagories. And I couldn't get the calendar to sync either.

Has anyone got the calendar to sync or the catagories in the contacts?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
google calendar can sync with a bunch of computer calendar software. I was able to get it to sync with iCal and have it automatically update with my phone. The directions can be found with a google search and is different with every calendar program. That would probably be your easiest way to get them to sync. As far as groups, I can't help you there as I don't use them.

xLwoodx

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
transfer contact from TP2 to incredible?

hi guys i want the incredible, but it a pane to transfer all my contacts from my HTC Touch pro 2 to the incredible. is there a program that i could transfer the contacts for me.?????. i ask verizon if they could do it. they said no.

Sebastianraven

May 1, 2010
www.twitter.com
There are 2 ways. You can d/l Google Sync. This will take all your contacts/reminders and place them on the web. Then, once you set up your gmail acct., it will update your contact list on the Incredible.

Option 2: Use Outlook to load your contacts from the TP2. Then get HTC sync on your computer, and Sync the new device.

xLwoodx

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 ways. You can d/l Google Sync. This will take all your contacts/reminders and place them on the web. Then, once you set up your gmail acct., it will update your contact list on the Incredible.

Option 2: Use Outlook to load your contacts from the TP2. Then get HTC sync on your computer, and Sync the new device.

i will try the 1st option. i cant stand outlook.
thanks

elroy jetson

May 2, 2010
Visit site
only problem is that android doesn't allow contacts to be viewed by "company". you would have to recreate all that after transfer...It's a big pain when you have a lot of contacts...

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Google Sync is what I tried to use, and it doesn't sync the catagories or calendar. On Windows Mobile there is acually no download for it. You just put the exchange server settings in and sync to it.

If Android won't let you view contacts by company as a previous poster said, then having the catagories becomes even more important (assuming it will let you filter by catagories).

I'm still trying to find a way to do this so if anyone knows how to make it work please let me know.

What is HTC sync?

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I just moved to the HTC Evo today from WinMo and Outlook

What worked for me very easily was first aggregating all my contacts between Google and Outlook. Once that list was organized I had a central list. Export your Outlook to a CSV. Import to Google. Full contact info including email, etc will be in the contact. Pictures assigned via google.

Then sign in to your gmail acct on the Android phone and (poof) all your contacts appear.

I have some pruning and cleanup, but it's good for 99% of my stuff.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the hardest time getting my contacts to gmail and having it sync.

What I did was use outlook. With Outlook opened, I synced my TP2 contacts to my PC. After outlook was filled with my current contacts I disconnected my TP2 and Synced my Evo to the PC and it transferred all my contacts to it.

The HTC EVO sync software is in the SD Card. There is a folder called HTC Sync. In that folder is the HTCSync2.0.31 software. Install that to your PC
----------

Another way if you already have your contacts in outlook is send them via bluetooth. On Outlooks select all the contacts and send to bluetooth. Ofcourse before you do this you need to pair your PC to the Evo.
----------

If you don't have bluetooth on your PC and no Outlook, you can bluetooth them to the Evo directly. You will need to go to your Wireless Controls on the TP2 and go to your Bluetooth settings. Go to the last tab that has an image of a screw driver, ruler, and hammer. Thats the Launch tab. Then select the bottom option "BT Send Object". Once you're in there on the top there is a left and right arrow. Hit the right or left arrow till you see "Contacts". Hit Menu on the bottom and Select ALL. Then hit "Send". You can also send ringtones, calendar, and a few more things if you wanted to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC