can some one help me with "kernals"

gwh327

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
iv done alot of reading, but i just dont get what the kernal is and what it does. i have recently flashed to the Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9 and the mr2 radio. i realy like the rom, but battery life is drastically worse than with the stock rom, radio... with moderate usage (listening to music, using the calculator, ect..)

any help would b greatly appreciated!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's the real short answer of what is a Kernel. The kernel is the core of the operating system. It's the interface between the feature aspects of the operating system and the hardware. Among other things it manages processes and power usage. This is why replacing a Kernel can dramatically change how a ROM/Device works. Different kernels focus on different things. Some are hell bent on performance, battery be dammed. Others are Battery misers to the point that devices feel sluggish. The best kernels make good trade-offs between performance and power savings so that you can get the most out of you phone for the longest time.

I'm not intimately familiar with Kernel development for the TBolt (I assume you have a TBolt based on the ROM/Radio combo), but I would check in the TBolt ROM's and Hacks sub forum for more info on what Kernels are available and which ones work best.

If you want more detailed info on Kernels, I would defer to Jerry, and others on the site who are more knowledgeable in that area then I ever want to be. ;)

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03