Restoring "Clock 2.2.1"

JJedediahJ

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
So I did something rather stupid and have been appropriately beating myself up for it. I used Titanium Backup to uninstall my phone's stock app "clock 2.2.1". I need it back but Titanium Backup wont restore it. I did some looking around and simular fools have been able to manual restore it with a ".odex" file thats no longer uploaded to the net.

I am curious if anyone be able to share theirs with me. And show me the location I need to place it in. If I can get this working again it would really make my day. And teach me to back up my ROM regularly. Here is some info about my phone.

LG Optimus V
Running BumbleBee 2.2.4
Using Xinoia Cwma recovery.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Since you are rooted do one of the following:

Re-flash a stock ROM--or the ROM you currently have--and you should get it back., or

Download one from the Market :) You may lso extract the app from a ROM for your device and push it to system/app.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Backup is done in Recovery, by going to backup, or Nandroid, however its described in the menu.
Check the Optimus V forum on how to access the recovery.

JJedediahJ

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the help and suggestions guys. :) a couple quick questions if I may.

1. Will re-flashing my ROM restore the entire os, as if it's booting up for the first time? I am curious to whether or not I'll have to reinstall everything after I do this.

2. If extracting the applications from the ROM is possible and can just be pushed into the system / app, is there a tutorial on the forum I can go by?

The only reason I need it again is because "beautiful widgets " uses it for its own clocks features. Didn't realize that at the moment.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the help and suggestions guys. :) a couple quick questions if I may.

1. Will re-flashing my ROM restore the entire os, as if it's booting up for the first time? I am curious to whether or not I'll have to reinstall everything after I do this.

2. If extracting the applications from the ROM is possible and can just be pushed into the system / app, is there a tutorial on the forum I can go by?

The only reason I need it again is because "beautiful widgets " uses it for its own clocks features. Didn't realize that at the moment.
1. Reflashing a ROM usually sets the phone back to an original first time use condition. So it's always advisable to back up your contacts, sms and such. Things on the sd card will remain.

You have to be a bit careful when uninstalling system apps (as you've learned). Sometimes, one app or function, may be dependant upon another. Example, the stock sms app. If you remove it, more than likely your downloaded sms app (GoSms, Handcent, etc) will not function properly in a lot of cases.

2. Typically, rom's come in a zip format, so you can actually unzip the contents on your pc and take a look inside. You should be able to locate the clock apk. The next part, would be to use the Android SDK, which is a free download, and use it to install the apk to your phone via USB. Your best bet, is to go to developer forums for the exact procedures. A good developer forum is xda developers.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you reflash over the same existing ROM you should have no changes to settings, installed apps, etc. It will update what ever is missing and add the missing clock.

To be safe, make a backup and keep it handy after flashing.

JJedediahJ

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I think given the options the most sure way to recovering the system clock is to do a re-flash of the BumbleBee mod. Originally I used a simple beginners guide to learn how to root, flash, recover ext. But it only covers doing it for the first time.

When re-flashing do I need start again from scratch or do I just tell recovery to install the OS again? Perhaps I just need to wipe data and then re-install? I've looked around the net and the answer must be really simple cause no one seems to ask about it. :-!

Last edited:

JJedediahJ

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to let everyone know I got the clock working again as well as to say thank you for everyone who provided help!

The trick I was tried was the most basic method you can think of. I took the deskClock.apk from my Rom's zip file, placed it on my SD card, and installed with it "appinstaller". I have never read this working for anyone but it did..The clock is restored and Beautiful widgets is operating like normal again.

I think it has more to do with the bumbleBee ROM than the method. I could see this nor working out as well for someone using a stock rom.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear! I sorta suggested that in my first post but thought it had to install on system/app.

Did you figure out the backup part?

JJedediahJ

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Correct! Which what was got me thinking about the Rom's zip file to begin with. So thank you again for that suggestion!

And thank you for reminding me! I will make a backup of my system now so if I ever need to I can restore myself back to this point.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's always good to make a backup frequently. Even if you don't mod tweak the phone often its good to have a fresh copy of the system to restore.