Market doesn't know what apps I've downloaded

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
So when I go into the market and click "my apps" after I have factory reset my phone, only a handful of the apps I've downloaded show up. I am logged into my android/google account just fine, but every time I try this, It only shows lie 17 or so of the apps I've downloaded, when in reality I've downloaded many more, all on the same account. What's going on?

This is becoming a problem as my recent forays into CM7 have left me apparently unable to successfully use Titanium backup and I clearly need a way to get my apps back....

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that would explain it. And sorry for not being incredibly savvy, but what do you mean access it through my PC?

If it helps any further, whenever I try to restore my apps with titanium backup (after i flashed CM7, it has worked fine with previous ROMs) i get all sorts of random force close issues on downloaded apps, an odd inability to sync with gmail and some other issues (like the messenging app not always working and force closing)...

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thats ok thats how we learn, its how I did. Just pass it on when you can.

To access your backups, you should have created an account with Titanium when you first backed it up. maybe you can log in via your computer and retrieve all the info.
As for the force close errors that is to do with the android_secure file that apps2SD storage that is built into 2.2 Froyo. The fix is to go to menu>settings>SD&phone storage>unmount card. Then install your apps then re-mount your SD card and you should be all set.

Last edited:

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Install my apps from Titanium? if I unmount my sdcard, and the backups that TI backup uses are on the SD card, won't that not work?

Also, I was thinking with regards to the market only showing payed apps you downloaded, how does that work when one gets a new android phone? I'm still on my first but I knew that people talk about how easy it is to transfer everything over to new phones because android/google's backups

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Install my apps from Titanium? if I unmount my sdcard, and the backups that TI backup uses are on the SD card, won't that not work?

Also, I was thinking with regards to the market only showing payed apps you downloaded, how does that work when one gets a new android phone? I'm still on my first but I knew that people talk about how easy it is to transfer everything over to new phones because android/google's backups

As he previously stated, your paid apps will be remembered. Provided you use your same google account username.

As with TB, it typically backs up to sd, but there are a couple ways to back up.

Some people, like to back up their user data for their apps. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, (aerodynamics is my forte), But I'm a little wary about "restoring" this method to a different ph/os.

This is all just fine and dandy, if you're restoring to the same phone and OS.

Personally, you'll find some apps on the market that back up a specific APK to SD, then when you change phones, you just install the same app (apk), and it will install the program apk's to your phone.

Now,, TB touts the ability to do this as well, but I have read numerous forum complaints (not just on AC) about how some of them don't install properly, or do force closes all the time on some of them.

But, everybody has their favorite program, and I really hate to talk bad about "any" program. They all have their plus and minus's. What works for you, may not work well for somebody else.

It's what makes the Android world, so much better than iPhone. We have a choice over everything, and don't need to be "force fed" or "tied to a leash".

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Im getting confused now. I just remembered that way back when I broke my stock, unrooted captivate (dropped it on a concrete floor). It was insured so they replaced it, and when they did, im almost positive I didnt have to go through the market and re-install all my apps individually, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did instead..

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Well, I just replaced my phone under the 30 day trial warranty, and it's been a royal pain restoring stuff. So I'm curious, too.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You did, trust me. You probably just didn't have so many apps at the time.

If some support tech, personally went through all the trouble to salvage your apps and contacts, and somehow install them on your new phone, well, he/she was an angel indeed.....

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just replaced my phone under the 30 day trial warranty, and it's been a royal pain restoring stuff. So I'm curious, too.

Market will remember your "PAID" apps. If you use the same account.

As for free apps, and Amazon free apps, well, condsider it a chance to get rid of the "crappy" apps you made the mistake of downloading before.

We all know what apps we like. To forget them, means we really didn't care much about them to begin with.

Apps, like some gadgets, outlive their usefulness. What was necessary 2 yrs ago, is not really necessary now.

Like "Task Killers", and "battery savers" and so on. Sure, they were necessary a few yrs ago, when android was still wearing diapers. Are they necessary today? No....

I can restore apps using some backup like TB, or I can download my apps again through the market on my 4G or 3G connection.

Both speeds are about the same, but, I can be assured my download will be installed correctly, regardless of what ROM I am using.

The only sure thing to do, is a nandbackup. In case you fubar your rom or recovery flashing.

The judge has rendered a verdict.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I've had the phone less than a month. My needs haven't changed much. And I've spent a couple of hours reinstalling and reconfiguring stuff. It would have been nice not to have to re-enter all my email credentials into K9, not to get confused because I forgot to reinstall perfect task switcher, not to have to remember the name of perfect task switcher to find it again, etc. It's not like you need to know the name of a widget to use it, but you need the name to re-install.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Under Menu > Settings > Privacy You'll be given an option to backup data with Google servers. I've had non-paid Apps automatically start re-installing after a fresh ROM install on a few occasions. Since using Titanium I just ignore this setting and backup with TB and re-install.

Phil did a write-up on backing up apps/data for the Evo users when making a switch to the Evo 3D and discussed this briefly. Its not specific to the Evo -- all Android phones can backup to Google's servers and hope that the apps restore when you log in.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I use my backup pro that backs up to the sd card but to My Backup's servers so if I loose my phone as well as my card I can back up from online.
The part where I said to unmount your sd card was to mitigate the installation errors that you were receiving due to the corrupted android_secure file that is common in 2.2 Froyo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781