Help with spoofing

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm being spoofed by someone who is using my boyfriends number. At first they were just senseless texts now they have become very angry and actually threatening..is there anyway I can find out the true identity of the person who is spoofing us?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can. You may want to contact your carrier and explain what is happening.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I did and verizon said that they only see what I see and whoever is doing this is paying for the service that protects their identity! I just can't understand how this is legal and no one can help me meaning the phone company, sheriffs dept, city police even the fbi won't help due to it not being a federal case. I changed my number and only gave it to 4 people and within two days I started getting them again. My boyfriend got them an hour after changing his number for the third time. Someone said he is probably using some parental app placing our numbers in it and figuring out my new number due to process of elimination on who my boyfriend is texting! Is that possible?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I did and verizon said that they only see what I see and whoever is doing this is paying for the service that protects their identity! I just can't understand how this is legal and no one can help me meaning the phone company, sheriffs dept, city police even the fbi won't help due to it not being a federal case. I changed my number and only gave it to 4 people and within two days I started getting them again. My boyfriend got them an hour after changing his number for the third time. Someone said he is probably using some parental app placing our numbers in it and figuring out my new number due to process of elimination on who my boyfriend is texting! Is that possible?

It's not legal...

Sorry I can't offer you any help....

EDIT: Apparently, it IS legal and the only way to stop it is to have your provider change your phone number (without notifying the spoofer of course).

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely like to get this person some help. Anybody have any suggestions?

If you get these texts after changing your number, then somebody is giving it to them. Once you figure out their number you can have them blacklisted, and possibly charge them for harassment and stalking. But you need to figure out who can get your number...

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

To my knowledge to use some sort of tracking/parental app you would have to be the main person on your Verizon account. Honestly I would point the finger at some close relative that is young an likes to play around.
also look more into this Truth in Caller ID Act of 2010 makes Caller ID spoofing a crime -- Engadget

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge to use some sort of tracking/parental app you would have to be the main person on your Verizon account. Honestly I would point the finger at some close relative that is young an likes to play around.

When you look at things, there is a common denominator, and you're going to have to figure out what it is.

First off, I'd be looking at the phone itself, yours and your BF's. Clearly there is something aloof, as you both change numbers, but still the same result.

One of the things I would do, is backup your contacts, and do a phone reset to factory defaults. And don't install any apps for a few days and see if it persists. It could be a rogue app that was downloaded and installed. So a factory reset would hopefully take care of it.

Additionally, set an unlock password. People have a habit of leaving their phones laying around, even at work where you supposedly trust your co-workers. But it happens.

Another thing, is have your BF leave his phone off for a few days (keep it in your bag to be sure). See if you continue to get the nasty sms. If not, you can narrow it down to 1 culprit, his phone.

As far a "spoofing", I would think your BF has an rogue app on his phone that allows it. That would be the only logical explanation to explain why he changed numbers, but the sms still originates from "his" phone.

Regardless of the above, I would still wipe his phone.

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
We have both done factory resets. His phone has been powered off with battery pulled and I received texts. He recieves texts from our house number and all 9 numbers as well as my number and I just have received texts from his number. I mean this person came to our house and set his 2001 mint condition ford mustang on fire and threatens to do my house next. Its creepy and he watches me and my family but I can't seem to prove who it is!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, the common denominator, would be the carrier. Considering you both have changed numbers, but within hours, he/she has your new numbers,,,, well,,,, one can do the math. Perhaps a deranged person working for the carrier who has access to this information. Seems logical to me.

2001 mustang,,,, not such a great loss, as 2001 was a crappy year for mustang. Bugatti,,,, now that's a loss. But then again, how would one know it was in "mint" condition", when all that was left was a burning hulk?

You see where I'm going with this....

Common denominator...

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The carrier should be going above and beyond to help you with this serious issue. If not request to speak with the highest person available and possibly get an early release from your contract and switch carriers.

If you are sure nobody else can get your number and get calls hours after changing, it seems like the only option to me. Sorry you're going through that, horrible people out there.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, the common denominator, would be the carrier. Considering you both have changed numbers, but within hours, he/she has your new numbers,,,, well,,,, one can do the math. Perhaps a deranged person working for the carrier who has access to this information. Seems logical to me.

2001 mustang,,,, not such a great loss, as 2001 was a crappy year for mustang. Bugatti,,,, now that's a loss. But then again, how would one know it was in "mint" condition", when all that was left was a burning hulk?

Common denominator...

So, I'm raising the BS flag on this one. I just had to be sure.

For starters, when concerning electronic communications, wire, mail, note in bottle,,, it automatically falls under federal jurisdiction. The fact you stated it doesn't, well,,,,, BS.

Secondly, to generate sms, using a rogue app, is pretty much moot at this point, as you yourself have stated, you've reset the phones several times.

Continuing, to intercept an sms, or to generate one "on the fly", would mean that a person has to be near the sms handling servers, and would have to make split second responses. Either that, or do a whole lot of uneccessary BS to generate a false sms.

Still further, your story seems to adapt to whatever our community responds to.Well, the common denominator, would be the carrier. Considering you both have changed numbers, but within hours, he/she has your new numbers,,,, well,,,, one can do the math. Perhaps a deranged person working for the carrier who has access to this information. Seems logical to me.....NOT

Common denominator...

So, I'm raising the BS flag on this one. I just had to be sure.

For starters, when concerning electrnoic communications, wire, mail, note in bottle,,, it automatically falls under federal jurisdiction. The fact you stated it doesn't, well,,,,, BS.

Secondly, to generate sms, using a rogue app, is pretty much moot at this point, as you yourself have stated, you've reset the phones several times.

Continuing, to intercept an sms, or to generate one "on the fly", would mean that a person has to be near the sms handling servers, and would have to make split second responses. Either that, or do a whole lot of uneccessary BS to generate a false sms.

Still further, your story seems to adapt to whatever our community responds to.

The final straw, was the mustang, convienantly set on fire in front of your house, accompanied by an sms that your house would be next. Please,,,,,, this was the best. How could anybody know, the said car was in ""mint"" condition, before it was torched?

So, in the end, you should be ashamed about preying on the feelings of some of our Android community. Who knows why you play these games, but I assure you, you are not the first to do such things. Nor will you be the last.

I suspect, I will get some fallout from you, or maybe one of the moderators. But really, I'm an old guy, and have been through much worse :p:p:p And I can tell you...

The BS flags are flopping in the wind :D:D:D:D

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad u think this is bs...but I ensure u it is not! I have better things to do with my life that make up stories that threatens the life of my 3 yr old son and my family! And if I knew how to show u the ten police reports or pictures of the burnt up car I would. The idea of this whole situation is surreal but true. I came to this forum for help on figuring out how to find out the true identity of this person and how they could be gettin our numbers so fast! As in meaning for mint condition yeah my ideal car isn't a mustang but it was immaculate. He took very well care of it and was proud of it only have 20000 miles on it. I was informed that there is some app on the computer that u can place two peoples numbers in there like a parental monitor and see who the numbers are contacting and process of elimination is how he is figuring our numbers out. But I'm not knowledgeable in this matter that's why I came here. I wouldn't be coming here making up some story, what would I have to gain! All I came here is to see if someone could help me with an app that can show true identities of the texts in which I was told there are, but the name of it is unknown! And as far as verizon won't give me any information other than we are being spoofed and they only see what we see. And that without subpoenas they can't do anything!

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also if u think this is bs when I say that the fbi said they can't help due to federal regulation your more than welcome to call the fbi headquarter in youngstown ohio ask for tony in the computer crime dept.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's any way to track down where the spoofed call came from. If there was, the phone company cuold certainly do it.

Since you changed your number and the problem persisted, the perpetrator must be someone who learned the new number. I assume you aren't listed. So that means either someone you trust enough to give the number to, or someone with physical access to your phone or a phone that has called you.

Honestly, I suspect your boyfriend.

But it could be a co-worker of yours who looked at your phone, or a coworker of your boyfriend, or a neighbor of your parents who was in house and scrolled through their caller ID, or. . .

The phone calls are less scary than the physical threats against you and your child. Is there someone you could move in with for a while? Someone who couldn't possibly be the perp, or a friend of the perp?

And I hope you are talking with the police about all the issues, as a combined problem.

Good luck.

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It is someone who I work with who had access to my phone number because its listed on company contacts list. I am a dept. Supervisor as well as he is. He told me that he also was spoofed by my number saying I left my boyfriend and was a free woman then his phone screen went white and phone was fried. Highly unlikely I feel, he looked at me in my face and said he would never do anything to hurt me, but the texts are sayin he will definetely do something to my boyfriend. If there is a way to monitor our numbers do u think its possible that if we both switched our numbers again but at the same time that it will be impossible to get them. And yes I have talked to the police, fbi, sheriffs dept and fire dept. The fire dept is the only ones who are acting on any of this matter, they informed me today that this is a difficult case and that even though it is arson, tracking down the guilty person is gonna take time and could go on for years. The harassment started on july 10 and he said we don't get results overnight! Which is ridiculous, that's why I'm trying to get ways to prove it is who I think it is, sooner than later to stop anything before it happens. Without proof my employer won't do anything.

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Change both your numbers again. Setup a Google voice number, don't give it to anyone including your bf, give that number to work if they absolutely require one. You'll be able to see if they are texting that number or not. That would narrow it down to someone at work.

Hell, you could get a cheap prepaid phone, change your primary phones number, don't give it to anyone at all, including our bf again, then use the prepaid phone for ONLY texting and talking with your bf since he won't hav your real phones number. Still use the google voice number for work etc...

This is hard to believe as others have said, but if it is indeed true, there absolutely is more that some police agency can do.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

jennyjliv

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
That is my next step...changing both numbers at the same time! I thank u all for whatever help you could give me! This is a serious matter and bad enough I have to resort to total strangers on a forum for help with possible solutions, but to be treated like I'm lieing is another. We are the victims here and I know its hard to believe all this is possible but we are living it. And if anyone has any negativity to post on here instead of helpful insight..then don't bother. I have sat next to my boyfriend of ten yrs and our 3 yr old son while both of us got texts from each other simultaneously with our phones in opposite rooms. No relationship is all roses but I know for a fact that he did not do any of this!

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Then by all means, get several new phone numbers, one for him, one for relatives, one got friends, one for work, etc. , and use those to narrow down who the perp could be. And lock your phone do someone cant get your number by looking at it.

Good luck.

Reactions: jennyjliv

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It is someone who I work with who had access to my phone number because its listed on company contacts list. I am a dept. Supervisor as well as he is. He told me that he also was spoofed by my number saying I left my boyfriend and was a free woman then his phone screen went white and phone was fried. Highly unlikely I feel, he looked at me in my face and said he would never do anything to hurt me, but the texts are sayin he will definetely do something to my boyfriend. If there is a way to monitor our numbers do u think its possible that if we both switched our numbers again but at the same time that it will be impossible to get them. And yes I have talked to the police, fbi, sheriffs dept and fire dept. The fire dept is the only ones who are acting on any of this matter, they informed me today that this is a difficult case and that even though it is arson, tracking down the guilty person is gonna take time and could go on for years. The harassment started on july 10 and he said we don't get results overnight! Which is ridiculous, that's why I'm trying to get ways to prove it is who I think it is, sooner than later to stop anything before it happens. Without proof my employer won't do anything.

Since this is such a dangerous situation, there is no way a company can continue to keep your number listed as there is numerous liabilities attached to that.
If it were me I personally would take a baseball bat to the co workers legs and hands repeatedly so that they live the reminder to never F with you again