I just got my phone and noticed that no matter what I do, my gmail account is open and my e-mails are visible for anyone to see. I don't want anyone to be able to pick up my phone and see my e-mails. How can I set it to open manually?
    08-20-2011 04:34 AM
    This is a strange behaviour to say the least.

2 things, first, turn all your notifications off in your Gmail settings.

Secondly, go to your Phone settings, Applications, Application manager. Select Gmail, and do a Force Close and delete Cache (if applicable).

Maybe even toss in a reboot for good measure

Then open your gmail, and see if it closes normally.
    08-20-2011 04:50 AM
    Email will remain open no matter what you do since an account is logged in. There are apps on the Market that password protect specified apps to prevent them from opening without a password I would recommend this in your situation so you don't have to log-out after ready email. Its probably going to be a bit tedious, especially if you check email often, but will help you keep email private.
    08-20-2011 09:58 AM
    I don't know SRK, maybe I'm lost on this, but as I understood, his Gmail, remained full screen, and just refuses to go away. In otherwords, even after hitting the home button, or any other screen, there it is in all it's prime and glory.

If it's a case of somebody picking up the phone, and selecting the Gmail icon, well, in this case, I would activate the lock screen password.
    08-20-2011 10:12 AM
    Hi - thanks for your quick response. . . gmail isn't on screen all the time. . . just when the icon is selected, the inbox is open and anyone who picks up the phone can read all my e-mails. You mentioned lock screen, but I don't see that in the manual and haven't encountered it while messing around with the phone.
    Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Judy
    08-20-2011 11:39 AM
    You should be able to find this under Settings/Location and Security. Look for the option Screen Lock.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

One of the great things, is that you can just click on an icon, and the program opens and logs in. Makes it so much better than having to log in every time.

I think setting a screen lock, will do you justice.

EDIT: Your menu system may be a touch different than a lot of us use, but I think it leads you in the right direction. A lot of us have "gone to the dark side", and run custom Roms.....
    08-20-2011 11:45 AM
    I went to the applications manager for gmail and the "force close" button was not enabled.
    I went to home = settings and there wasn't an option for location/security and I can't find anything in the manual that talks about locks. I think I'll take it to the gal at the Sprint store to see if she knows since she's the one that set it up.
    Thank you so much for trying to help though. I'm sure I'll encounter other things with this phone that I'll need help with. Have a great weekend!!!
    08-20-2011 11:56 AM
    I went to the applications manager for gmail and the "force close" button was not enabled.
    I went to home = settings and there wasn't an option for location/security and I can't find anything in the manual that talks about locks. I think I'll take it to the gal at the Sprint store to see if she knows since she's the one that set it up.
    Thank you so much for trying to help though. I'm sure I'll encounter other things with this phone that I'll need help with. Have a great weekend!!!
    No problem. Just be sure to tell her/him, you want a "screen lock". Should be pretty much a cut and dry issue.

In otherwords, you want to input a password when you unlock the screen.

Sorry I couldnt give you the exact method. Roms differ between phones, and I run a custom Rom, but I will bet my bottom dollar, somewhere in the Settings menu's, there is an option for this. Might be under Security. Who knows, but a screen lock password, is pretty much "de Facto standard".

But as always, welcome to AC, and we appreciate your questions. A lot of experienced people here. Coming close to 3/4 of a million by now I suspect.

So I would spend 30 minutes, and look for it. Might save you a trip to the shop.

Google screenlock password (phonemodel) and I suspect you will find an answer.
    08-20-2011 12:08 PM
    @Judy What phone do you have? I just realized that the title said Shift 4G, sorry :P Try installing this app: Smart App Protector

Then open the app to setup Gmail with a password every time its opened. If you want to setup a password for the lockscreen every time the phone is opened you will need to provide us with the phone model so we can better help you with doing that.

To set the lock screen pattern go: Menu > Settings > Security > Set Unlock Pattern
    08-20-2011 12:28 PM
    No problem. Just be sure to tell her/him, you want a "screen lock". Should be pretty much a cut and dry issue.

In otherwords, you want to input a password when you unlock the screen.

Sorry I couldnt give you the exact method. Roms differ between phones, and I run a custom Rom, but I will bet my bottom dollar, somewhere in the Settings menu's, there is an option for this. Might be under Security. Who knows, but a screen lock password, is pretty much "de Facto standard".

But as always, welcome to AC, and we appreciate your questions. A lot of experienced people here. Coming close to 3/4 of a million by now I suspect.

So I would spend 30 minutes, and look for it. Might save you a trip to the shop.

Google screenlock password (phonemodel) and I suspect you will find an answer.
    Handed my phone to a computer saavy friend and he went to the settings and scrolled UP and DOWN and found the security menu item. I had only tried to scroll DOWN so missed it. Sooooooo easy. . . there are options for locking the screen with a password, a numerical code, or drawing a shape. Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I'm a happy camper now!!!
    08-21-2011 01:24 AM