Official Gingerbread - missing screen off animation

neo0031

Aug 26, 2011
neo0031.deviantart.com
I'm running the official Android 2.3.3 update for my HTC Desire Z, and despite all the buzz, I can't seem to find where to activate my screen off animation. My phone is unrooted, but I'm pretty sure the animation was part of the stock update. I'm using WidgetLocker and Launcher Pro, but I don't think either contribute to my several missing Gingerbread features, like the keyboard. (My soft keyboard was exactly the same in theme and feel and touch to 2.2 Froyo)

Am I wrong? Or is there a special setting I'll need to activate first? Or do I need to do a hard reset?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I would guess, your carrier figured you didn't need the animation, so they stripped it out of thier branded skin.:(:(:(

But, you may want to check under Settings, Display, and see if you have any animation options.

Last edited:

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Carriers and manufacturers strip out things they don't think you need, like the awesome screen off animation. The G2 is stock Android, but HTC chose not to include the animation as well.

If you want it you will need to install a rom that includes it. Thankfully, the gingerbread keyboard can be found on the market. As for the big deal about gingerbread, it is much nicer under the hood, doing things you don't really notice from a user standpoint.
Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

neo0031

Aug 26, 2011
neo0031.deviantart.com
I do want to root my phone, but haven't fund confidence in it, even though I'm confident in editing progrsms and shizzles on the computer. It looks much more complicated than jailbreaking an iDevice, which I've done before.

I have notice smoother runnings under the hood, and a few this and that making it more user-friendly. I would love to see the CRT animation, screen rotating animation, and some other new features...

Small unrelated question as I'm interested in rooting and very much over-clocking. As I'm running running the official 2.3.3, do I have to downgrade it back to stock before I can even consider rootng? I looked at a few guides here and there, and it's slightly more complicated than I anticipated...

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Yeah Yeah.... Flattery...

Seriously tho, we have a lot of good people here on the forums. And the good thing, is that some of us live in different parts of the world, so help gets out to the non US based folks. You Guys Hear That? Not Everybody Lives In Detroit!:D

But, one has to understand time differences and such.

Also, there are a few "trolls" on occasion, but usually the Mods weed them out.... sometimes.;)

So we will close this thread as "Fixed"

neo0031

Aug 26, 2011
neo0031.deviantart.com
Okay, thanks. And yes, sometimes some UK Android users like us has no idea whenever Verizon models and what not comes up in discussions. That's what I love about Android is its wide audience, as I have awesome apps written by devs ranging from Hong Kong to the US.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the swift answer. Peace.:):)