Can I add Hyphens to phone numbers in "people" / contacts

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Revised question: How can I get android to display phone numbers with hyphens?

Original question: How can I add hyphens to all the phone numbers in my phone book ?

(I tried to get Contacts Clean-Up app from the market but it says it's not compatible with my phone)

I'm wondering if there is a setting in the phone to do this. Seems like there should be rather than to only display 11-digit numbers without any formatting.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Typically, the contacts of android aren't necessarily defined by "dashes". Although carrier "skins" might do so.

This has no bearing on when the number is dialed. And overseas numbers, do not adhere to the same places of "dashes" as do US numbers. Most other numbers use xxx-xx-xx, and xxx-xxx-xx-xx.and xx-xxx-xx.

I've found, that if the dash placement is necessary, it's much easier to ;

1. export the contacts to a csv file and modify, then re-import.
2. synch to a PC based system, modify, then synch again.

If you add a "new contact, you should be able to place dashes as necessary.

Of course, some phones may not allow this.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thank you.

To be clear, I really don't care at all if the hyphens are actually embedded in the phone numbers within the contacts. And I realize that I can manually edit the numbers to put the dashes in. (So I could have said that more clearly in the first place....will edit if possible)

What I'd really like is to have the phone display a number with hyphens, so that when I look at my call history, for example, it shows the Name and Number as 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX rather than 12902992738. I find the latter very hard to read.

Old, low-tech cell phones would automatically format the numbers into a readable format. Now that I have hundreds of contacts, I'd like this phone to do the same, automatically.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I see, but, thinking about it, my old nokia's didn't add dashes from unknown contacts either. Not until I added them, and added dashes.

But then again, I live in East Europe, so the carriers are different, so maybe it's a carrier thing?

Maybe, it's something we can request to the custom Rom people. Probably won't help the Stock Rom people tho.

Actually, I've never paid attention to it, as mine only displays the Name if it's in my contacts, and not the number, unless it's unknown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21