Must Have Android Apps >>

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have just bought my first Android device today on eBay. It's a HTC Desire Z. I am coming from a WebOS Palm Pre...

Please can you all list me the must have Android Apps, eg productivity, calendars etc inc games etc

Thanks for any heads up..

I can't wait to get my mitts on the phone :)

EN4

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have just bought my first Android device today on eBay. It's a HTC Desire Z. I am coming from a WebOS Palm Pre...

Please can you all list me the must have Android Apps, eg productivity, calendars etc inc games etc

Thanks for any heads up..

I can't wait to get my mitts on the phone :)

EN4

Documents To Go. Paid version

My Phone Explorer - to synch with outlook, or to back up contacts, calendar and sms.

If you are non rooted, Astro- for a file manager and such

Photo Funia- to make stupid foto manipulations

QuickPic - a replacement for Gallery

Translate - to translate sms from another language.

Jorte - for a business calendar

Handcent - to replace your sms app. Love the customization

Desire Z is a great phone!

Reactions: EN4CER69

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again for the info thus far..

Out of the box I will need:

A good programme to sync with Outlook and maybe Thunderbird?

A good web browser if the stock on is no good?

Cheers

Win

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again for the info thus far..

Out of the box I will need:

A good programme to sync with Outlook and maybe Thunderbird?

A good web browser if the stock on is no good?

Cheers

Win

To synch with Outlook 2003 and 2007, I use My Phone Explorer from the Market. You have to install a client app on your pc. But no biggie. But it will not do Notes.

Thunderbird? The really cheap wine? :p:p:p

Stock web browser is ok. But, I will upgrade to firefox. I think they have a version now for Android. I also hear Opera is ok.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's a thread in the app forum with a browser discussion. Many people prefer the stock browser. Opera, Dolphin are good alternatives.

Welcome to AC.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
To synch with Outlook 2003 and 2007, I use My Phone Explorer from the Market. You have to install a client app on your pc. But no biggie. But it will not do Notes.

Thunderbird? The really cheap wine? :p:p:p

Stock web browser is ok. But, I will upgrade to firefox. I think they have a version now for Android. I also hear Opera is ok.

I can't thanks you enough :p So what will enable me to sync Notes?..

PS Can't wait for the phone :)

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Tasker for customization - fairly steep learning curve but allows you to do so much with your phone.

If you decide to root, Secure Settings (Locale plugin that works with Tasker).

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just received my Desire Z today.. Been busy so not had too much of a play.

Can someone tell me a way or suggest an app, so I can sync my Outlook 2007 Notes with the phone??

Thanks for any help :)

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Just received my Desire Z today.. Been busy so not had too much of a play.

Can someone tell me a way or suggest an app, so I can sync my Outlook 2007 Notes with the phone??

Thanks for any help :)

HTC had a sync app for calendar and contacts when I had an Evo 3d. It may come with the phone. if you're on US Cellular, the link is here:
HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Desire

For notes, I would just suggest bailing on them and using Evernote. You can literally just make a new note in Evernote for every one of your existing outlook notes and move them to evernote. Then they're always in sync. Sounds difficult, but it's actually really easy. The desktop client you download makes it simple to move everything from Outlook.

Hope that works for you!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Amazon Appstore app. Amazon.com: Appstore for Android. Another great place to look for apps. They have paid and free apps, and, every day they offer a feature paid app for free. They are generally games, but, still pretty awesome. Every couple of weeks or so though you get a relatively useful app though up for free. I make sure to get the free app every day. And, it stays with your account, so, once you "purchase" it for $0.00 you don't even have to install it. I just purchase every day, and, don't bother installing. Then if I ever need it, I can install it for free!!

Google Voice for free text messaging.

Astrid Tasks.

I like The Weather Channel app better than the one that came with my X2. The widget is nicer, and, the app seems more functional.

Cozi. Lets me and my girlfriend share a shopping list (among other things, but, we only use it for shopping). There are other apps out there that do this, like, Out of Milk. But, we got Cozi for free as app of the day from Amazon Appstore. Out of Milk you have to pay for the version that you can share lists. Either way, if you have multiple people shopping in a household I've found this tool to be invaluable. They have a website as well where you can manage your lists. So, I manage my lists all week long in a browser from a PC, and, then use them on my phone with the app at the store.

Bluetooth File Transfer is handy for transferring files and apps to someone else with a smartphone.

UPnPlay is nice for streaming video from your computer to your phone. You need to use a media player in conjunction with it though. I use MoboPlayer, QQPlayer and Rock Player.

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I use Evernote. I just copied the notes I wanted from my Pre & sent them to Evernote. Works great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Root Explorer, cuase after you root your device, you'll want to have a file explorer to the deep dark recesses of the system.

We all know you want to write that kickass bootanimation.zip

At least on an Aconia!!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey