Email deletion question

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Probably a dumb question. I'm new to Android OS from Blackberry. Using the default email app I can delete emails from the phone but when I download them to my PC they are still on the server (i.e. They have not really been deleted, just from the phone.) I can't seem to find a setting to correct this. Blackberry handled this correctly. Can Android do it right?
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about Gmail, or another service? There might be an option you need to check in the Moto mail app.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about Gmail, or another service? There might be an option you need to check in the Moto mail app.

Well, I went to the tips sticky for email and they mention a setting for delete from server. I don't have that choice in the Moto app. The account is from charter.net the cable internet folks. Heck, stuff I had deleted on the phone showed up in Outlook. So I deleted it from Outlook which is supposed to delet from server. But today when I went to the Charter web access for my email...stuff that I had deleted from both the phone and Outlok both were still on there, beginning from Thursday when I got the phone. BTW, my corporate email on an Excange server is working perfectly. I may have to try the K9 Mail app. It's certainly not as foolproof as Blackberry. Yes, BB was slow and clunky and old-fashioned, but it always worked. DO I HAVE to go through GMail for this to all work correctly. BT, I downloaded and set up the Google Calendar sync program...that seems to be working OK after I weeded out the dupes and re-entered what didn't show up (another place where the BB shined...nothing was lost, nothing was duped). I remember when I set it up it asked me what all I wanted to sync and how (2 way, 1 way, etc.) but now when I go to settings it doesn't offer the what, just the how. Do I need to uninstall it and re-install it to get email sync as a choice again? Or will that not help this situation. It just seems intuitive to me that when you delete the email you want to really delete the email and not have to visit all these other places to delete all copies of the email. If I wanted to keep it I wouldn't delete it in the first place. Sheesh. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll hang tight and hope for more info.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went to the tips sticky for email and they mention a setting for delete from server. I don't have that choice in the Moto app. The account is from charter.net the cable internet folks. Heck, stuff I had deleted on the phone showed up in Outlook. So I deleted it from Outlook which is supposed to delet from server. But today when I went to the Charter web access for my email...stuff that I had deleted from both the phone and Outlok both were still on there, beginning from Thursday when I got the phone. BTW, my corporate email on an Excange server is working perfectly. I may have to try the K9 Mail app. It's certainly not as foolproof as Blackberry. Yes, BB was slow and clunky and old-fashioned, but it always worked. DO I HAVE to go through GMail for this to all work correctly. BT, I downloaded and set up the Google Calendar sync program...that seems to be working OK after I weeded out the dupes and re-entered what didn't show up (another place where the BB shined...nothing was lost, nothing was duped). I remember when I set it up it asked me what all I wanted to sync and how (2 way, 1 way, etc.) but now when I go to settings it doesn't offer the what, just the how. Do I need to uninstall it and re-install it to get email sync as a choice again? Or will that not help this situation. It just seems intuitive to me that when you delete the email you want to really delete the email and not have to visit all these other places to delete all copies of the email. If I wanted to keep it I wouldn't delete it in the first place. Sheesh. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll hang tight and hope for more info.

It might have to do with the email protocol. I think one of them doesn't support deleting a message server-side, which may be your issue. I could be wrong though. I definitely suggest trying K9 though, a lot more features and customizations.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried using POP3...wouldn't even connect and download mail. I called Charter (my internet provider) who said that the settings on their help page (which I had used) were the only ones that work for android and that IMAP cannot delete emails on the server. Meaning that I delete them on the phone...then if I get home and use Outlook, they all download again where I delete them again. And since Android already touched them, Outlook no longer deletes them from the server. So I have to log into webmail at charter and delete them a third time. So every email I don't want to keep must be deleted three times ?!? WTF! DO you aAndroid folks really put up with this or am I getting fed BS. Does anybody have a way to do personal (not corporate sync) email where deleted means deleted? Can I let GMail pull all the email from charter (and presumably pull them OFF the server leaving it empty) then I use the GMail app on the phone? But where does that then leave Outlook which is where I want everything I actually want to keep to fall to eventually?
Here's what I need. Email comes in, deleted on phone means deleted upstream. Kept on phone means kept on server until Outlook gets there. Outlook pulls everything off the server where I can then do with it what I want.
Possible? Do I need GMail in the middle to do this? Some alternate settings? There's a lot of really smart and helpful people here...surely somebody has solved this. My Blackberry did this effortlessly and correctly.
Woudl the K9 email client help? I think this has to be a Charter thing...trying to sync a phone with them doesn't work. So something in the middle could empty them out and then truly sync with phone and Outlook?
Thanks in advance.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, now even Outlook won't delete messages from the server. The only way to delete them is to use Charter's webmail app. Grrr. I even am using K9 now and K9 has an explicit setting that says to delete from server when deleting email...and the server isn't honoring it.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried using POP3...wouldn't even connect and download mail. I called Charter (my internet provider) who said that the settings on their help page (which I had used) were the only ones that work for android and that IMAP cannot delete emails on the server. Meaning that I delete them on the phone...then if I get home and use Outlook, they all download again where I delete them again. And since Android already touched them, Outlook no longer deletes them from the server. So I have to log into webmail at charter and delete them a third time. So every email I don't want to keep must be deleted three times ?!? WTF! DO you aAndroid folks really put up with this or am I getting fed BS. Does anybody have a way to do personal (not corporate sync) email where deleted means deleted? Can I let GMail pull all the email from charter (and presumably pull them OFF the server leaving it empty) then I use the GMail app on the phone? But where does that then leave Outlook which is where I want everything I actually want to keep to fall to eventually?
Here's what I need. Email comes in, deleted on phone means deleted upstream. Kept on phone means kept on server until Outlook gets there. Outlook pulls everything off the server where I can then do with it what I want.
Possible? Do I need GMail in the middle to do this? Some alternate settings? There's a lot of really smart and helpful people here...surely somebody has solved this. My Blackberry did this effortlessly and correctly.
Woudl the K9 email client help? I think this has to be a Charter thing...trying to sync a phone with them doesn't work. So something in the middle could empty them out and then truly sync with phone and Outlook?
Thanks in advance.

Well, now even Outlook won't delete messages from the server. The only way to delete them is to use Charter's webmail app. Grrr. I even am using K9 now and K9 has an explicit setting that says to delete from server when deleting email...and the server isn't honoring it.

This is not an Android issue - it's a Charter issue - they have set their mobile.charter.net mail server to not delete mail on IMAP (which I agree is stupid). Try using POP on your outlook instead of IMAP. Under advanced settings you can set "Never remove from server" and delete from server after emptying deleted items"

Hope this helps.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
This is not an Android issue - it's a Charter issue - they have set their mobile.charter.net mail server to not delete mail on IMAP (which I agree is stupid). Try using POP on your outlook instead of IMAP. Under advanced settings you can set "Never remove from server" and delete from server after emptying deleted items"

Hope this helps.

Agree it sounds like a Charter issue with IMAP settings, however I still have Outlook set up to POP3, always have. Haven't changed it. Yet now deleting an email on Outlook won't delete it from the sergver like it would before. And this wierdness all started last Thursday when I swicthed to Android from Blackberry via the Bionic. Also, when I delete an email on the phone with K9, now when I go to Charter webmail, not only is the email still in the Inbox, there's another copy in Trash...so now I have to delete email four places...phone, Outlook, Server Inbox and server Trash. This is getting out of hand.

I found an option on the webmail page that says to forward everything. I wonder if I forward everything to GMail and let Outlook and the phone use GMail instead of Charter. It seems to me that if this is a Charter issue and if GMail handles it correctly this would allow things to work correctly again. That would make the variable Charter vs GMail. Thoughts?

My wife's BB Tour is due this November. She's absolutely not technical AT ALL and wouldn't put up with this sh**. People don't expect to have to fart around this much just to have email on a phone...email's been around long enough that everybody ought to have it down pat.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Charter now forwards to gmail. Outlook pulls from gmail using pop3. I use the gmail app on the phone. This all works about the same as I have been used to. Whew! I guess they really really want you using gmail whether you want to or not, sort of like Apple and the iTunes virus.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay