SDCard vs SDCard-ext

Markla709

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I wanted to decide where to put my 2-3 gbs of video and music. I mounted my phone to my computer as a SDCard, but 2 drives appear. I am not used to this. I get MOT (F:) and Removable Disk (G:) and I put my video and music on Removable Disk, thinking it was the removable SDCard. However, in my phone, it is listed under mnt/sdcard-ext... Which one is my SDCard?

Device: Droid Bionic.

Thank you <3

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I am also having this issue. My Android System Info app looks at the "SD Card" folder, which has 8 gig open, but my actual SD card is called "sdcard-ext", and for some reason the app can not read the amount (just the Android System Info app).

I also has a problem importing content from my "Secrets" app. The app was looking for data on the sdcard folder, but my actual data was in the sdcard-ext folder?

Is there anyway I can merge or rename the sdcard-ext to "sdcard" so I can ensure that all the apps are looking in the proper place?

Mike

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Your bionic has internal and external storage. One of the drives is your internal storage and the other is your actual sdcard. Sdcard-ext is where app data is stored on the sdcard (apps to sd).

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am also having this issue. My Android System Info app looks at the "SD Card" folder, which has 8 gig open, but my actual SD card is called "sdcard-ext", and for some reason the app can not read the amount (just the Android System Info app).

I also has a problem importing content from my "Secrets" app. The app was looking for data on the sdcard folder, but my actual data was in the sdcard-ext folder?

Is there anyway I can merge or rename the sdcard-ext to "sdcard" so I can ensure that all the apps are looking in the proper place?

Mike

Unfortunately, you can't re-name them.

I'm no expert on how apps behave or write their data. Usually, 60% write their data to the ext-sd to prevent loss of say, a database or photos. However, some write it to internal memory. In theory, if an app which "should" be installed to internal memory, is somehow moved to Ext-sd, it may have been coded to look in the internal memory only where it was originally installed,

The other reason, is that the import app assumes the data is located internally and doesn't allow for looking anywhere else.

This would possibly explain why your app was looking in internal memory instead of the external memory. It's a pity some apps won't allow you to set the "default" folder to look in when importing data.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This was a major irritation when I first got my tablet, which has the drives labeled 'sdcard' and 'external'

I tend to unmount the microsd and use a sd adaptor and just load media content directly onto the card. Moving files from external sd to internal storage is irritatingly annoying.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's a royal PITA. File managers are no exception either. It seems they all like to use different naming conventions, and it gets irritating at best. 3 different managers, 5 different names for 2 simple drives. God forbid I plug in my flash drive :confused:

The devs need to settle on one consistant naming inline with the manufacturers. And add a "browse" option and/or a default path option.

Devinator

S&#363;p&#257; Saiya-jin F&#333;
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So, I wanted to decide where to put my 2-3 gbs of video and music. I mounted my phone to my computer as a SDCard, but 2 drives appear. I am not used to this. I get MOT (F:) and Removable Disk (G:) and I put my video and music on Removable Disk, thinking it was the removable SDCard. However, in my phone, it is listed under mnt/sdcard-ext... Which one is my SDCard?

Device: Droid Bionic.

Thank you <3

You should actually get three drives mounted when you plug in your phone. Ignore the MOT one. As far as I could tell when I originally investigated it, that is probably just a partition of the internal storage that contains some garbage Moto software for installing onto your computer. If you are using a Windows box (can't speak for other operating systems), you wont need this. It mounts everytime, and, I just ignore it.

It can take up to a minute sometimes for it to mount, but, eventually you should have in your case F/G/H. G will most likely be internal storage and H your SD card. Sometimes I have to wake up my phone and unlock it before it'll mount all three, but, it'll happen.

I install all of my apps to my internal storage, and, use my SD for photos, music, video, etc. So, when I open each of the two mounted drives that aren't the MOT one I know which one is my SD card right away because the internal storage has a ton of folders, while the SD has only a couple. Either way there should be folders on the internal drive that make it clear which one it is. Folders like Android or Motothis Motothat will let you know which is the internal. But, I'm pretty sure my MOT always mounts to F, my internal always mounts to G and my SD mounts to H.