Can you double-tap on a word in an edit field to select that word, then extend the selection? If not, is there a hack I can install to enable this ability? (I was using a friend's Android-based phone and was disappointed to find I couldn't do this).

Are there extensions to do other things to manipulate text/clipboard, such as ability to have immediate access to history of things copied to clipboard and favorite strings of text? (I'm spoiled by some utils on jailbroken iphone...)

Can't wait to jump from iPhone to Sprint Evo
    05-08-2010 02:10 PM
    For managing stuff you've copied, Clipper is the best app.
    For selecting things you have to long press then select what you want
    05-08-2010 03:13 PM
    For managing stuff you've copied, Clipper is the best app.
    For selecting things you have to long press then select what you want
    05-08-2010 03:14 PM
    Thanks for the info on clipper.

For what it's worth, I just posted the following on the Google Code site for Android [I'd give you the URL but it won't let me because I don't have enough posts on this web site yet ], issue 4814. If there's anywhere else I should post this suggestion, let me know!

Here are reasons why I think the way to start selecting EDITABLE text should be double-tapping on text, which would then select the word double-tapped (after which the selection can be expanded):
    1) it's extremely fast to begin selecting (no special gesture/menu/etc)
    2) when the initial default selection is at least as wide as a word, then the BEGIN and END of the selection are generally far enough away from each other that they can then be manipulated separately without accidentally selecting the wrong one (I have to hand it to Apple on this one: they have this behavior, *plus* they have the BEGIN selector above the text and the END selector below the text, which further separates them from each other!)
    3) we're generally copying at least a whole word, and sometimes exactly one word (eg to look up a definition or do web search on a term/brand); thus we will often get what we want immediately
    4) this is the same behavior as on Windows and Mac OSs (no learning curve re: how to initiate a selection)

(I don't have an Android device yet but am migrating from iPhone to the Evo when it is available.)
    05-08-2010 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD