need some help! can't backup using Nandroid

grazamataz

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, android noob here, just converted to the Samsung Vibrant from a blackberry not long ago.

I was gonna try and go the custom ROM route, but i've hit a speed bump. i'm rooted and i installed ROM manager, but i cannot get it to make a backup. when i boot into recovery mode the only options available are these:

-reboot system now
-reinstall packages
-delete all user data
-delete cache data
-format internal sd card

i read somewhere to keep trying "reinstall packages" and that would do it, but every time i do i get this:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

i've tried older versions of CWM, i've uninstalled and reinstalled ROM Manager, i've searched the web for 2 hours for an answer. i'm at a loss. i'm not going to flash a ROM until i get a proper backup made.

any insights?

thanks!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have not used Clockwork on the Vibrant, but did you try the latest version of clockwork? In ROM Manager it will show you what version you are running and what the latest version is right at the top. If there is a newer version, go into settings, select Erase Recovery then go back and install the latest clockwork. On the main screen there should be a backup/restore option if it's supported for the Vibrant.

Hope this helps.

grazamataz

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm running 2.5.1.2, which is the latest version. I tried loading 1.3 and 1.4 (which i think are beta/experimental versions) but it gave me an error when trying to download it.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
It's been a while since I own the Captivate (same as Vibrant).
Look like you're still on stock recovery and not CWM recovery

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while since I own the Captivate (same as Vibrant).
Look like you're still on stock recovery and not CWM recovery

Exactly. I dont see any of the features listed that are usually there. If I remember, Rom Manager has an option to Flash Recovery.

I'd go to the CWM site and check versions.

grazamataz

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Here are the steps I took:
Installed ROM Manager, opened it up, hit "flash clockworkmod recovery," got a success message, and then hit the "backup current ROM" option. It asked me to name the file, then rebooted into recovery mode, but that's where it stops working right.

I went to the CWM site and got the latest recovery from there, downloaded it and opened it straight up in ROM manager, with the same result.

It seems like something is blocking it from using the CWM recovery because it does keep going to the stock recovery.

I feel like it may have something to do with permissions? When I hit the Fix Permissions option in ROM manager it gives me an error message. Not sure if that would be related or not.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, something sounds strange. I'm not a Samsung person, so I would suggest posting it in the Vibrant forum here, and also in the Vibrant forum at XDA developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36