Apps using battery

FabioGNR

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello i'm new here and have a question:
I have some apps who use allot of battery while i'm not even using them. For example i just started my phone, go to battery use and see a app is using 66%?? wtf, not all of them use so much. Most of them only 2-5 % which is too much for when im not using it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hold the phone chuck!

This doesn't mean that an app has used 66% of battery power. It only means that battery resources were directed to that app 66% for a given time compared to overall usage.

Like cell standby and phone idle. Usually these are higher than say Android OS, which is completely normal. It means resources were directed to phone idle 33 percent of the time. Not that it used 33% battery power. If you didn't touch your device all day, it would probably read 80% or higher.

Now if you have an app you don't use, like say Mail, and you see 20%. Then you can probably turn off notifications and synching, and it won't even show up.

I honestly wished they would do away with this Battery Stats menu. Or at least tell people how to interpret it.

They call it Usage. Not battery drain. It means a certain app uses battery a certain percentage of time compared to all other apps.

Reactions: FabioGNR

FabioGNR

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah thanks for the explanation, but the app in question is a game Trial HD ( i think thats its correct name )
So i cant turn any options off i think, the others actually are tap tap 4 and snowboard. ill try to figure something out :)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah thanks for the explanation, but the app in question is a game Trial HD ( i think thats its correct name )
So i cant turn any options off i think, the others actually are tap tap 4 and snowboard. ill try to figure something out :)

If you open the suspect app, and select Menu, you should see an "options" setting. Sometimes, they get sneaky and have a "More" selection, wherin you should find some sort of options for notifications, gps, etc.

This is one of the primary reason why people root and rom their devices. To get rid of this useless uhhmmm.... bonus feature software....

Oh, and if I helped you, hit the Thanks button. At 100 thanks, AC gives me a new device, and I'm damned close to that Galaxy S II

just joking

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Moscow. You'll need to see what the settings are for the app to identify the problem. Sounds like something is keeping it awake.

FabioGNR

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Great forum! quick responders and nice responders.
it seems it uses open feint, though the only options are Music and Effects. When im offline its better

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks like for starters, you can use gingerbreak; or unrevoked

[How-to] Root your Play - xda-developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788776

Pros, you get superuser access to the super top secret area of android carriers don;t want you to know about.

Why? well for starters, it takes revenue away from them (most importantly). Secondly, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll fubar your device and give then support headaches.

1. Know your device. Know how to make a recovery backup before you ever begin. And I'm not talking about the app in your device, because if it goes to bootloop hell, your carrier app is useless. Know how to boot to Recovery. Most devices have this, it's a combination of (device off) holding power and vol +. Note that some devices may not have this, until you root and a recovery is installed. Some devices have a combo of 3 buttons.
2. Always make recovery backups. Before and after each process completes.
3, Follow the instructions explicitly. If they require you to check a version of something, there is a damn good reason for it. Do not ever think, you are smarter than the person who made the steps. No matter how odd they may seem.
4. Alcohol. To muster up the nerve.

rooting should be fairly simple in your case. Follow the steps.

when it comes to flashing a new rom, repeat the above ;)

They say it voids your warranty, only because they want to cheat you out of money. But really, when you turn a device in for service, they connect it to a "black box" that flashes everything regardless of what you did to it.

It sounds bad, and you will see lots of red warnings, but really, it's only because they don't want you crying to them if something happens.

Typically, rooting is 95% successful, more if you follow instructions.

Get the alcohol ;)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Not with a root,

With a flashed rom, yes.

Of course, before rooting, you should back up your contacts and calendar. Google works ok. You can export your contacts to sd.

With apps,paid apps are always remembered by the market, so you can download again. Free apps, you'll need to remember. Of course there are apps that will bake them up to your sd,

Rooting, provided it goes as planned, should not show any difference, besides a superuser app in your programs.