This past weekend I found some cool apps to make free phone calls. I have only tested these apps on my Hero running 1.5.

Google Voice Dialer ($1.99 from the market)
    Anyone with a Google Voice account can use Google Voice Dialer. This app helps you make free phone calls in the US. if you want to know how the app functions, go to the developer's website gvdialer.cpedia.net If you dont have a Google voice account go to eBay, the invite will cost you about $5.99. You can get three invites for $9.99.

Gizmo5;
    If you are one of those lucky guys that have a Gizmo5 account. You will need Sipdroid to get more functionality out of Google Voice dialer. Gizmo5 charges for making calls but not for receiving. Gizmo5 "call out minutes" are only 1 cent. Go to the Google Voice Dialer website gvdialer.cpedia.net to find instructions how to set it up. If you dont have a Gizmo5 account, you can find it on eBay for $7.99.

Sipdroid (free from the Market) works on 3G and Wi-Fi

I am testing this set up for a month to find out how much money and minutes I can save. Also, I dont have a lot of experienced with android, this is my first attempt trying to make free calls.

If anyone have some suggestions, please let me know.

gbhil thank you for the help ,
    05-10-2010 11:10 AM
    tried this setup but don't it hasn't been consistent enough for me to use it as my primary business phone. found that phone doesn't always ring. hopefully you get different results
    05-10-2010 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the write up

I'm currently using a T-Mo N1 just like this, with GVoice for sms. Makes me wonder if I should consolidate everything into one Google voice number and use Gizmo instead of voice minutes on all my phones for the ease of one number across the board.
    05-10-2010 05:42 PM
    I can received a call, if I get strong wifi signal. I am testing the set up, to find out if I can move to a only data plan.
    05-10-2010 05:51 PM
    Ran a search for "Free Google Voice" and this thread popped up. Very good info here.

Half a year later, is this info still relevant and still the best way to get free Google Voice calls? Thanks for any help.

PS- I do have a rooted phone
    11-16-2010 11:24 PM
    Things haven't really changed much. You can integrate some VOIP solutions with GV, use the calling circle approach (along with an app that dials via your GV number with the number in your circle) or use the callback approach.
    11-17-2010 10:24 AM
    Actually as of today it got much easier. With the latest Sipdroid update all you need is the Sipdroid app & a GV#. After you update Sipdroid click the link given to setup your free PBXes account. Once that's done just run Sipdroid and make free 3g/WiFi calls.
    UmyDinner likes this.
    11-18-2010 02:55 PM
    Unless you have constant free access to Wi-Fi, not all of your phone calls will be free. Can't mobile network operators detect if a calls is being made over WiFi or 3G ?
    11-19-2010 01:29 AM
    Not if it isn't on their own WiFi or via UMA etc.
    11-19-2010 09:52 AM
    u can create a free google voice account and receive calls following the following process

Click here google voice
    08-25-2011 06:59 AM
    But i am in bad need of gizmo5 account and i will buy it on ebay if what u said is true
    08-25-2011 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD