Time zone issues

musicguy99

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
When I select Automatic "Use network-provided values" the time is an hour behind.

When I unselect Automatic and put in the correct time, Google Talk is messed up. The other person's messages are timestamped an hour before mine so I have to scroll up to view all the messages.

SMS Time Fix only works for SMS, not for Google Talk. Also, it is set on the correct time zone (GMT -04:00, Chile Time). It is my hypothesis that the problem lies with Samsung not realizing that Chile is on DST.

Any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

Background:

I'm running Samsung Galaxy S II (2.3.3) on Entel in Chile. Other than this, it's a freaking awesome phone. I'm a recent WebOS convert. I miss it a lot, especially with regards to true multitasking. Awesome phone, auto focus camera and all more apps definitely help to ease my suffering.

You don't have to read the following, but I found someone else having this problem back in 2010 on the Nexus One in South America:

Spenkle Level 1
10/17/10
Level 1
10/17/10

Popular answer Go to this answer
In Android 2.2 the same problem continues. In Brazil, we switched to daylight savings last night, going one hour forward. When I woke up this morning, the phone was still an hour behind, so I went into the Date&Time settings, unchecked the Automatic Sync with the operator time, and then switched it back on again. As it greyed out the time options, I saw it switch to GMT-2 hours, Brasilia summer time (which is correct), but in a couple of seconds it switched back to GMT -3 hours Brasilia. I know the phone is pulling the correct time off the network, because when I reboot the phone it pulls up the correct time on the screen unlock bar (GMT -2). However, and this is weird, the clock widget on the HTC Desire shows the correct time (pulled from my network operator), however the time on the system clock (top right hand corner) is an hour early. After the phone goes through its sync/update cycle after rebooting, it switches the time on the HTC widget back to GMT -3. So, I turned off the Weather auto update and rebooted again, and the Weather widget stayed at the right time (GMT -2) however the internal system clock still said GMT -3. As I was looking through the forums for an answer, at some point the clock widget (which seemed to update its time with the weather app sync) switched back to GMT-3 (which it shouldn't do because I disabled the Weather widget updates) , so something in the phone is updating the system time from a source which is NOT my network provider.
FYI, all phones at home updated the time normally from the network operator, so it is not a cell tower problem or a network problem.
The only fix (and for me this is a pain cus I travel a lot) is to disable automatic network time sync. When I do this, both the widgets and the system clock read the correct time. So, I reckon that for some reason, when the option to automatically sync the system time from the network operator is activated, the summer time settings from the network operator don't stick because something is overriding them. However I would hazard a guess that this entire mess is actually a combination of two or more problems which need a fix from Google.

musicguy99

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I found a workaround, for the time being. I don't use google talk app and just using the IM app. The timestamps are still messed up, but I receive them in the order received. Lame stuff... There are tons of south americans using android devices here.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon